GW1000 Potential Barometric Pressure Problem

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

Andyk1
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

GW1000 Potential Barometric Pressure Problem

Post by Andyk1 »

I really wish someone would fix the pressure sensor (barometer) it's been trashed since 1.6.4. Yes I have two gw1000's older and newer firmware versions and both are trashed. Can not calibrate gw1000 to match meteobridge.Off by 0.24-0.25 of each other. Before anyone asks... Yes I only calibrate one... gw1000 and not the meteobridge. Somehow the meteobridge reads the correct pressure though. The ws-view app calibrations all changed without touching anything. Assigned names reverted to defaults. Been emailing Lucy back and forth but not getting anywhere. Lightning sensor is still not working since meteobridge ver 4.3.5 or 4.3.4. My database is so whacked out I gave up trying to fix it.

Been collecting weather data since 1998 and this is the worse experience since starting.

One other thing. I am not getting an answer as to why ecowitt will not sell their WS-80 to US customers.

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: GW1000 Potential Barometric Pressure Problem

Post by wvdkuil »

Andyk1 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:14 pm
. . .
One other thing. I am not getting an answer as to why ecowitt will not sell their WS-80 to US customers.
This is the note for the WS-80
5: not sold by Ecowitt to the U.S. - based on Ambient contract with Fine Offset
More information https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0
Wim
Support for Leuven-Template & Scripts at https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support for the PWS_Dashboard (HWS-template) https://pwsdashboard.com/

Gyvate
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Gyvate »

Andyk1 wrote:
I really wish someone would fix the pressure sensor (barometer) it's been trashed since 1.6.4. Yes I have two gw1000's older and newer firmware versions and both are trashed. Can not calibrate gw1000 to match meteobridge.Off by 0.24-0.25 of each other. Before anyone asks... Yes I only calibrate one... gw1000 and not the meteobridge. Somehow the meteobridge reads the correct pressure though. The ws-view app calibrations all changed without touching anything. Assigned names reverted to defaults. Been emailing Lucy back and forth but not getting anywhere. Lightning sensor is still not working since meteobridge ver 4.3.5 or 4.3.4. My database is so whacked out I gave up trying to fix it.

Been collecting weather data since 1998 and this is the worse experience since starting.

pressure sensor - did you try FW 1.6.6 - there was an issue with 1.6.4 - should be resolved with 1.6.5/6.
I've got 3 GW1000 and they all work properly - on 1.6.6 - calibration is no issue - unfortunately calibrations got wiped with the 1.6.4 update - unintentionally though as Lucy confirmed - lesson learnt: before updating take a copy of your calibration and rain totals

Assigned names reverted to defaults.
- that's unfortunate - it usually only happens with a factory reset. In 1.6.4 an update was enough. :x
As for the WSView app - see above - save calibration and rain totals before updating.

Lightning sensor is still not working since meteobridge ver 4.3.5 or 4.3.4. - that's not a FW 1.6.5/6 issue - it's a MB issue - I am behind Boris to get this straight for months (see other related posts in the MB Pro section - but he seems to have other priorities.

If you want to get a WS80 to the U.S., you will need to buy it/get it shipped to Canada or Mexico (friends, business colleaugues ...).
Otherwise the FineOffset contract with Ambient forbids.
WH4000SE 1.5.8/GW1000 1.6.6/HP1000SE Pro 1.7.1/WH2650 1.6.7-ß
2xMeteobridge Pro [B+R],RPi4-2/16
Ecowitt 5763, 5764; WU ISAARB3; ISAARB22; Weathercloud 3011399141; http://meshka.eu/meteo/template - http://meshka.eu/Weather34

Andyk1
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Andyk1 »

The only thing I not have gotten fixed yet is pressure and lightning. Lightning we all now about since last year. What I don't get is why MB reads correctly but ecowitt does not. Yes I am on 1.6.6

Here is a screen shot of ecowitt and MB pressure. MB is correct. I had to lower ecowitt calibration to get MB corrected. Reset Ecowitt did nothing. Reset MB did nothing.

Well it's not letting me include a screenshot. if you go to my site www.nicomaparkwx.com and then https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=503 you'll see the mismatched calibrations.

OK, how do we share our ecowitt site now? mine is 503 . Use to be 403 but changed somewhere along the way. Nicoma Park, OK USA
Last edited by Andyk1 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andyk1
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Andyk1 »

Let me digress a bit. What I found and I forgot how to include screenshots here is that on Feb 25th at 4:00pm I must have done a firmware update in ws-view which of course updates the gw1000. After the update I noticed I had a wh25 sensor. I forgot what a wh25 was so I looked it up and it's an old Ambient Weather ObserverIP indoor T/H/P sensor. I had to look all over for the forgotten sensor and found it in a junk drawer. Low battery but the GW1000 still picked it up. It took me a few days to notice my pressure was off and I am just guessing it was using the wh25's readings. Since then I have not been able to get a matching calibration. It was GW1000's 1.6.4 or 1.6.5 which we know was trash but 1.6.6 didn't fix it... for me. Resting the GW1000 also didn't help. I have MB reading correctly with mismatched readings between the two and no idea now how to get them talking the same readings.

As far as Ambient Weather goes... I'm not going there since the WS-2902 wifi garbage happened with no resolution other than buying a newer one. Never could get the wifi working again after the 3.0.3 update or whatever the ver num was.

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by galfert »

You can disregard the WH25 as that is nothing but an older version of the new WH32B which as you've noticed only works as the main indoor temperature / humidity and barometer for consoles that do not have a built in indoor sensor. Ecowitt made a mistake with the GW1000 firmware 1.6.5 as it inadvertently gained the ability to pick up the WH32B (or in your case the WH25...which is the same thing, just looks different and has probably an older chipset). The GW1000 was never intended to use this indoor sensor because it already has its main indoor sensor built in.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

Gyvate
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Gyvate »

The WH25 is afaik the predecessor of the WH32B, the indoor T&H&P sensor for the HP350x, HP2551 and the WH2650. It seems that internally the WH32B presents itself still as WH25. A GW1000 should have nothing to do with it. That it still did comes from one or more bug(s) in the current firmware. With 1.6.5 the GW1000/WH2650 firmware was redesigned - and probably not sufficiently tested. Therefore some unwanted side-effects occurred which were not all noticed, as the errors occur only in certain constellations which most users of a FO/Ecowitt station do not have.

One thing which was observed fast was that the GW1000 started picking up (no problem) and processing (what it shouldn't [have] do[ne]) the WH32B/WH25 signal and also the T&H&P data from its own inbuilt T&H&P sensor - and got sort of confused and provided data from both signals in a daisy wheel scheme. The WH2650, even though having the same firmware, wasn't affected as it uses an external T&H&P indoor sensor, the WH32B (WH25). So your observation with the old WH25 in the drawer reflects just that behavior. With FW 1.6.5/1.6.6 this portion should have been settled - for the GW1000. It so happened that now the WH2650 has some more issues, side-effects of bugs in other areas of the firmware.

Regarding your pressure "issue", you need to understand how the GW1000 works - and how application software like Meteobridge (or weewx or CumulusMX) interact with it. As far as pressure is concerned, they seem each to have their own approach.

The following reflects the insights I have gained. Not sure if my view is complete. Open to amendments.

The GW1000 gets the absolute local pressure from its inbuilt sensor. What is posted to WU, ..., Ecowitt.net as rel pressure undergoes a calibration, which you can set in the WSView app. The same applies if you use the "Customized" option. When the GW1000 is queried by application software, it sends two pressure values: abs pressure and rel pressure, whereby rel pressure is abs pressure corrected by a calibration value. If there's no calibration set via WSView, abs pressure = rel pressure.

Now, Meteobridge (MB) only takes and processes the absolute pressure and ignores the rel pressure which comes from the GW1000. It calculates its own relative pressure by applying the info in the station settings - your station altitude. That's what you see in the live data.
When you post via MB to a Weather network, you can still modify your pressure, i.e. add a calibration in the Station --> Settings tab by selecting the sea-pressure selector and apply some calibration rule.

Not sure what you now mean by "fixing the pressure" - if you want it (I guess we are talking about relative pressure) to be the same for both ecowitt.net and wherever else you post this data by MB, or use this data in MB, then you have to either calibrate it in the GW1000 via WSView (to adapt Ecowitt.net to the MB value), or use the calibration in the Station --> Settings tab to do the same at the MB end. At least that's how I would do it.

Regarding lightning - the GW1000 reports properly what the WH57 sensor reports. Only, afaik, at least still until recently, it's an open road work in Meteobridge to assign, name and process the three values provided by the WH57 via GW1000 properly. I myself have made several approaches to Boris to get this sorted, proper naming, proper assignment and totalling of the respective values, but so far he had other priorities. There are a few open threads in this (respectively the Meteobridge Pro) board where you can find my suggestions and commentaries.
Ecowitt 5763, 5764; WU ISAARB3; ISAARB22; Weathercloud 3011399141; http://meshka.eu/meteo/template - http://meshka.eu/Weather34

Andyk1
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Andyk1 »

wvdkuil wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm
Andyk1 wrote:
. . .
This is the note for the WS-80
5: not sold by Ecowitt to the U.S. - based on Ambient contract with Fine Offset
More information https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0
Wim
Yeah Lucy told me what the deal was.

Andyk1
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Andyk1 »

Sorry, I can't post in more detail. I am in the middle of this latest Microsoft forced update rollout they completely mess up for millions of us and unfortunately I am in that group. No computer to work on. I have big fingers and this is killing me typing on a phone... :D

I am in contact with Lucy trying to resolve this but it's just taking time.

Whatever you do... If you are on a Windows 10 PC and haven't got a USB start-up... Do not do an update or delay your reboot time if your able... Blue screen from death and a USB or old system backup may be your only hope.

Gyvate
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Gyvate »

Fingers crossed :) - my update to Win10 20H2 (10.0.19042.867) went smoothly - no issues.
But I do have a boot-up USB stick - and regular system disk images. :idea: 8) - just in case (and the case sometimes occurs ... :mrgreen: )