Static IP issue

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

cheffy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Static IP issue

Post by cheffy »

Hi,

I have had my meteobridge for just under a week now and I have been trying to set a static IP but I am unable to do so. I first tried setting a static IP on my router, however every time I reboot meteobridge it reappears in my router with a different MAC address and is therefore given a different IP address (and I have to accept the licensee agreement in meteobridge again). Is this normal? Every other device in my network has a static MAC address. I then tried setting a static IP within meteobridge, however that caused some conflict issues (I think) and I lost connection to meteobridge and I had to do a factory reset. I have since gone back to just setting a static IP in my router and automatic DHCP in meteobridge, however I am pretty sure the next time I reboot or I lose power it will be give a new IP address.

What does everybody else do. Do you have a static IP or do you have a dynamic IP?

I have also had two occasions where my meteobridge has lost connection to my network. I have unplug it to regain connection. I am trying to work out what is causing this, however I am not too sure if this is being caused by me trying setting a static IP. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

jasonmfarrow
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Static IP issue

Post by jasonmfarrow »

The MAC address of your Meteobridge should not be changing. It's a hard coded parameter in the wifi chip on the meteobridge hardware.
Even if you used a Raspberry Pi it's hardcoded to the wifi adapter.
What model of Meteobridge are you using? A Pro? A Nano(SD)? None of these would provide different MAC addresses after a reboot.
Please give your precise Meteobridge setup for the admin to ponder.

Personally, I use a NanoSD and the mac address is definitely static. You should be able to see this on the "System -> Information" tab in the Meteobridge administration panels.
Regards
Jason
https://jmfweather.uk | @jasonmfarrow

prestwickwx
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by prestwickwx »

I know there are generally 2 MAC's associated with Meteobridge. Here is some info from Boris a few years ago.

"The Mediatek MT7628 SOC powering the NANO has LAN and WiFi adapters and provides separate MACs for those. As with the other Meteobridges the MAC of the LAN adapter is taken as the one to identify the Meteobridge for other services. The "System" tab of the Meteobridge also shows this MAC as the one to go for. When you inspect your router logs, you will find the WLAN MAC of the NANO and you will have to bind this one to a fixed IP, if you like.

As long as you stay in the Meteobridge "universe" (well, might sound a bit too big...) the existence of multiple MACs is not visible, but the more exploring user might find out like you did. I did not put it into the instructions as this has potential to further confuse the users."

Chuck
https://myrtleweather.com/
Myrtle Beach WX @ Prestwick

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk »

First, can you clarify what Meteobridge device you are dealing with here, MBPro (red or black) or a NANO (installed in a console).

But yes for sure, static IP can be configured for either.

cheffy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by cheffy »

Thanks for the responses.

I just have the standard meteobridge – not a pro or a NANO. It’s labelled as a ICDB100AU – see link below.

https://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/met ... gJL8_D_BwE

It came with a short USB cable to power the device and without a USB plug (I assumed it would come with this). I have since bought a longer USB cable and plugged it in using an old apple USB power adapter. I am not sure if this is causing the issue. It is connected to my internet over Wi-Fi.

I have checked the MAC address in the “System” tab and noticed this is different to the MAC address meteobridge appears under in my router – which is quite strange. I have rebooted the device several times this morning, the MAC address in the “System” tab remains the same and does not change, however the MAC address in my router constantly changes and therefore reassigns a new IP address each time. I have noticed only the first 2 characters of the MAC address in my router changes, the rest remains the same.

I have tried setting a static IP address in my router using the MAC address as it appears in meteobridge, however this does not work. After a reboot, I am still getting a different IP address, the first 2 characters of the MAC address has changed and the MAC address is totally different to what Meteobridge has in the ‘System’ tab.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have set up multiple other devices with a static IP address in my router without any problems.

I could live with not having a static IP address, it’s more of an annoyance than an issue, however I am concerned about the drops outs I am having. I have had 2 within the first 5 days which could be related to the MAC address issue causing conflicts. For now I have removed the static IP entry in my router which I am hoping will help.

Thanks,
Neil

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk »

Do you have the setup instructions? It's only about 2 sheets.

If so, have you tried connecting an Ethernet cable and followed the setup?

cheffy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by cheffy »

Yes it came with quite a detailed instruction booklet.

I followed the initial instructions and connected by ethernet cable and located the IP. I then went through the set up process and switched over to using wifi.

Incidentally, I plugged the ethernet cable back in today and changed the connection to LAN – after doing this I noticed the MAC address in my router matches back to what is in the ‘System’ tab in my meteobridge. I then did a couple of test reboots and the MAC address stayed the same in my router.

So it appears to be a wifi issue, which is my preferred connection option because my meteobridge is located away from my router.

I have double checked my wifi settings and I am not using a wifi extender/repeater which could potentially cause this issue.

It's strange, I guess if I cant fix this I could try and free up a port on my router and go with an ethernet connection instead.

Neil