USB Connection and PC

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

USB Connection and PC

Post by HaylingUK » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I am considering using a meteobridge with my Fine Offset WH-1080.
I currently have the USB linked to my PC running Cumulus, each time I start Cumulus (not every day) it pulls down the logged data, I would like to still be able to do this.
Since the TL-MR3020 only has one USB port is it possible to connect say a four way USB hub to it and then plug the PC and the WH1080 into the hub ?
Regards

Arthur

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: USB Connection and PC

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 pm

HaylingUK wrote:I am considering using a meteobridge with my Fine Offset WH-1080.
I currently have the USB linked to my PC running Cumulus, each time I start Cumulus (not every day) it pulls down the logged data, I would like to still be able to do this.
Since the TL-MR3020 only has one USB port is it possible to connect say a four way USB hub to it and then plug the PC and the WH1080 into the hub ?
Sorry but that is NOT possible. An USB hub has one connection "upstream" and multiple connections "downstream".
Upstream goes to your computer or to your meteobridge. The downstream connections are for the devices you want to connect.

So multiple devices to one computer works OK.
Multiple computers to one device will not work, it will give only a lot of errors and BIG headaches.

You could consider an USB switch device, although those are inserting noise and other problems.

You could also use meteoplug to store your data "in the cloud" and retrieve the data when needed.

Wim

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HaylingUK » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 pm

How about I plug the USB hub into the weatherstation, then one output to the PC and another to the meteobridge ?

I am planning to use the TL-MR3020 router (on order) with the WH1080.
I have read that the router will not read a USB 1.0 device like the WH1080 so it will need to be conditioned by passing it through a USB 2.0 Hub anyway.
Is this the case in practise ?
Regards

Arthur

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:56 pm

HaylingUK wrote:How about I plug the USB hub into the weatherstation, then one output to the PC and another to the meteobridge ?
Will not work, maybe seem to work for a second or so.
The only thing wich should work is: unplug the station from the hub, plug station in the PC, run the Cumulus program, stop program, unplug station from the PC, plug station in the hub.
If it is once a day or week, then it seems not a big deal to me as you have to start the PC also.
I am planning to use the TL-MR3020 router (on order) with the WH1080.
I have read that the router will not read a USB 1.0 device like the WH1080 so it will need to be conditioned by passing it through a USB 2.0 Hub anyway.
Is this the case in practise ?
If it specifies that an USB 2 hub is needed, you better use. Please use the search function on this forum and others and you will find numerous problems which suddenly disappeared the moment a decent usb 2.0 was placed in between.

Succes, Wim

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HaylingUK » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks, thats helpful.
So I need to plug the USB 2.0 Hub into the Router and then the station into one of the four Hub inputs.

The station will store several weeks of data that Cumulus pulls down when run so that is a fall-back position.
It was just the convenience of having it all connected I was hoping to achieve.

I will be using the Ethernet cable (Not WiFi)to link the TL-MR3020 to my incoming Router and powering it using a PoE 5V splitter - Any issues doing this ?
Can the WiFi be disabled ?
Regards

Arthur

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:40 pm

HaylingUK wrote:Thanks, thats helpful.
So I need to plug the USB 2.0 Hub into the Router
with router you mean TL-MR3020 flashed as Meteobridge
and then the station into one of the four Hub inputs.
The station will store several weeks of data that Cumulus pulls down when run so that is a fall-back position.
It was just the convenience of having it all connected I was hoping to achieve.
I will be using the Ethernet cable (Not WiFi)to link the TL-MR3020 to my incoming Router and powering it using a PoE 5V splitter - Any issues doing this ?
Can the WiFi be disabled ?
WLAN or LAN can be selected on the Meteobridge"Setup Network" tab. As the TL-MR3020 is not a router anymore after flashing it will not do anything on the WLAN.

The TL-MR3020 will NOT support PoE directly. It needs the power to be supplied to the mini USB Port (designed for the power supply only).

Wim

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HaylingUK » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks
Regards

Arthur

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: USB Connection and PC TL-MR3020

Post by HaylingUK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Thinking about the practical wiring.
Is there a diagram showing the various interconnections between TL-MR3020 the USB 2.0 4 port Hub and the station etc ?
Is the mini-usb only for power ? or can it also carry data ?
The functions of the slide switch after flashing ?
The function of the LED's after flashing ?

I saw mention in the forum that a USB memory stick can be left plugged in, with only one USB port this will need to use the USB Hub.
What function does this USB memory stick perform ? Is it some kind of backup ?

Sorry if this is all obvious, but as someone about to build a system its simple stuff like this that can waste hours if misunderstood.
Regards

Arthur

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HaylingUK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26 am

I have flashed the new firmware and have the system working OK.

I would still like to know what if anything the slide switch does on the TP-Link ?
The LEDs seem to indicate the same as when it was a router.
I have a USB 2.0 Hub between the Station and the TP-Link, if I plug in a USB Memory stick, what is it used for ?
Regards

Arthur

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 am

HaylingUK wrote:I have flashed the new firmware and have the system working OK.

I would still like to know what if anything the slide switch does on the TP-Link ?
The LEDs seem to indicate the same as when it was a router.
I have a USB 2.0 Hub between the Station and the TP-Link, if I plug in a USB Memory stick, what is it used for ?
Leds
There is a WiKi there i found this about leds and boot: http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Boot_Sequence

USB stick
From the wiki:
released September 11, 2013
addind support for storing latest application stack and historical data on a USB stick. This provides a fall-back position when Meteobridge server cannot be reached and will allow Meteobridge operation in a stand-alone manner, without any need for server interaction. Just plug-in a FAT32 formatted USB stick and this feature will go live. Boot from USB is done, when Meteobridge fails during boot for about 10 minutes to load application stack from Internet.
And using the search function on this forum the discussion about the usb stick:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=9454#p13911

Succes, Wim

HaylingUK
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HaylingUK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Wim, thanks that covers everything.
I put a USB stick in and rebooted, it has written two files to it. I'll just leave it plugged in.
I also have it powered using PoE, it draws 300mA at 5V.
This is a nice design, a very elegant solution to pushing the data to the web.
My data is at:
http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/sitehandler ... =431606049
Thanks for your help.
Regards

Arthur