How to optimize receiving data

All about the cool new device that can read RF data directly from Davis® weather stations

Moderator: Mattk

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: How to optimize receiving data

Post by Mattk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:00 am

The Retransmit drop down option wording is a little vague as if you were to select ID 1,2 or 5 in the above example you would get a message saying "Can not Retransmit to Station x" and in the above example x would be either 1,2 or 5.

The Retransmit drop down box should be read as Retransmitting To an ID, not Retransmitting FROM an ID

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:50 am

I have retransmitted my console (#6) and my Envoy (#7). Both are placed directly next to the MB as seen by the signal values. Although both signals are good (100% reception) still the received frequency is very unstable as you can see in the image below. Frequency of reception varies by less than 1 minute till a few hours. I can't explain why this is, but I can imagine that the reception of both the console and the Envoy isn't that good (because of the distance). Probably the console and the Envoy doesn't retransmit the values if the reception frequency is too low. The console and Envoy both update the values with a frequency less than 1 minute, so it seems that it doesn't effect the console/Envoy itself.

Visible is that only ISS data is retransmitted, that's why wind data is missing. But UV and solar are retransmitted as they are connected to the ISS.
My conclusion is that this is not a good workaround, so I definite go for the repeater now. Thanks anyhow for you assistance!

Best regards,

Jeroen

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Mattk wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:00 am
The Retransmit drop down option wording is a little vague as if you were to select ID 1,2 or 5 in the above example you would get a message saying "Can not Retransmit to Station x" and in the above example x would be either 1,2 or 5.

The Retransmit drop down box should be read as Retransmitting To an ID, not Retransmitting FROM an ID
Mattk, you are completely right, see message before...

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

On the Station tab> RF Module>RF Sens. have you set this to "via console"? And what dB value is set?

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Mattk wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm
On the Station tab> RF Module>RF Sens. have you set this to "via console"? And what dB value is set?
I forgot to set RF Sens to "via console"! dB value is set to -80 dB now. The reception is good now, beyond expectation! See picture below (with console on a different floor at 10 m distance)!

I have two consoles and one Envoy, so my solution will be now:
  • TH Station outside, directly via RF at #1 (Davis #1)
  • TH Station stable, directly via RF at #3 (Davis #3)
  • ISS Station on console in living room, retransmitted at #6 (Davis #4)
  • Wind station on console in office room (set as ISS on console), retransmitted at #7 (Davis #5)
  • Ground temperature on Envoy in office room (set as ISS on Envoy), retransmitted at #8 (Davis #2)
I have to check if wind station and temp station are to set as ISS, but if that's the case then I have a solution without a repeater! Thanks for your suggestions!

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Again a little step further. I found out that the console is also retransmitting the wind data, so that's nice! :D
I also found out that the TH from the stable is missing, distance too big propably. So I now changed the settings in:
  • TH Station stable, on console in office room (set as ISS on console), retransmitted at #7 (Davis #1)
  • Ground temperature on Envoy in office room (set as ISS on Envoy), retransmitted at #8 (Davis #2)
  • TH Station outside, directly via RF at #3 (Davis #3)
  • Wind station on console in living room, retransmitted at #6 (Davis #5)
See the settings of the MB Pro below

Unfortunately still two ID's are missing. #3 TH is missing, despite I had a perfect receiving during a lot of hours before, see earlier messages. Also the #8 T is missing, via Envoy, despite I had a perfect receiving of the ISS on #7 before, see also earlier messages. Below a screenshot of the live data

You can see some "sensors" are overdone, due to the ISS settings I suppose. Is there somehow a possibility to get rit of those items from the list (and the database of course)?

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 pm

JeroenZwart wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:51 pm
Again a little step further. I found out that the console is also retransmitting the wind data, so that's nice! :D
I also found out that the TH from the stable is missing, distance too big propably. So I now changed the settings in:
  • TH Station stable, on console in office room (set as ISS on console), retransmitted at #7 (Davis #1)
  • TH Station outside, directly via RF at #3 (Davis #3)
  • Wind station on console in living room, retransmitted at #6 (Davis #5)
[...]

Unfortunately still two ID's are missing. #3 TH is missing, despite I had a perfect receiving during a lot of hours before, see earlier messages. Also the #8 T is missing, via Envoy, despite I had a perfect receiving of the ISS on #7 before, see also earlier messages. Below a screenshot of the live data
[...]

Eureka! :D :D I have succeeded in getting all the sensors received in the MB Pro!
Problem 1: not receiving TH of #3, it seemed that signal strength was dropping a lot due to placing the second console in the same room as the MB. After setting dB RF Sens. to -90 dB it MB received it again.
Problem 2: not receiving T of #2 (retransmitted as #8), it seemed that the battery of the station was empty :oops: ! After replacing the battery the problem was solved.

So summerized my settings in MB Pro are as below now.

And herewith a screenshot of the sensor live data 8)

One last thing is the extra sensors I don't need, e.g. "Rain#7", "Wind#8", etc. Does anyone know how I can rid of them?