How to optimize receiving data

All about the cool new device that can read RF data directly from Davis® weather stations

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

How to optimize receiving data

Post by admin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 am

As you can see the Meteostick ist not shielded but exposes its components to the public through a transparent housing. As this looks appealing it also shows that there is not RF shielding around the RF chip. This is not a problem, as lab test show that now significant RF noise is generated by the Meteostick, but it makes the Meteostick somehow sensible for strong RF sources in direct neighborhood. I did some experiments putting the Meteostick directly into a WiFi connected Meteobridge and faced a significant drop in RF sensibility. Reason for that is that the WiFi signal emitted from the Meteobridge does render the Meteostick RF circuits partly blind, when WiFi signal is emitted.

So if you experience RF reception problems with your Davis sensors please use a USB interconnect cable to bring some space between your Meteobridge/Meteohub and the Meteostick. What might fit ideally is one of the USB base connectors as they are used with UMTS/3G sticks for the same reason. Using such a base as shown below did significantly improve RF reception with my test rig.
base.jpg
base.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
There are plenty of options in the Internet on aliexpress.com for small money.

Edit on April 13: Need for USB stand decreases when using Meteostick FW 1.2. But a USB stand is always a good investment to optimize position of Meteostick in regard to RF. There is also a cheap source for USB stands with a modestly magnetic foot in Germany:
http://www.kab24.de/computer/usb-20-doc ... 1397403306

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: How to optimize receiving data

Post by admin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:37 am

RF reception is dramatically improved by recent changes of the initialization of the RF chip set for firmware version 1.2. If your Meteostick is not on firmware version 1.2, please update to 1.2 as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9714

Natashawilliams
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Natashawilliams » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:54 am

thank you for sharing this link her It will help me alot

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Hello,

I have bought a MB Pro, but it won't receive the signals of my Davis stations. Maybe because the distance between the MB and the stations is too big (appr. 100 m)? So I connected my Envoy (I used before in combination with a PC) directly to the MB. The original Envoy and datalogger with serial connector are from 2004. Due to connection problems I replaced the datalogger in 2010 for one with RJ11 connector with serial converter. This was working very well during many years, but I changed the PC to one without a serial port. Then I bought a serial to USB converter. So I had got: datalogger - RJ11 - serial - USB - PC. This also worked well during a few years but last years sometimes connection between datalogger and PC failed. Disconnecting the datalogger and restarting it mostly solved the problem. So my MB is now connected to the Envoy at the same way, so: datalogger - RJ11 - serial - USB - MB. Can this be the problem for not getting the data from the Envoy? If so, how can I solve this problem?

Best regards,

Jeroen Zwart

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 am

MB Pro Black or Red?

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 am

Red

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am

JeroenZwart wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 am
Red
Good, then set the Envoy to retransmit which will be on a different ID to that of your ISS/Envoy link and effectively use the Envoy to make the distance then set the MB to RF and receive the retransmitted signal direct from the Envoy. Couple of settings to look at are the MB RF Module RF Sens: and change the dropdown from "direct" to "via console". Should be a lot more robust especially re signal reception

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello Mattk,

Thank you very much for your response. This sounds hopefully! I do receive now Davis stations by RF direct (internal meteostick), but only for distances less than 30 m. If I understand you rightly, is it possible to receive the signal via the Envoy? That would be grate, because the Envoy has no problem by receiving the signals of all stations.
Question: I don't understand what you mean by "set the Envoy to retransmit". How will I do that? Besides: all the different connections (RJ/serial/USB) shouldn't cause problems?

Best regards,

Jeroen

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

You can switch retransmit on/off by using the Weatherlink PC/Mac program.

AFAIK, when using retransmit by an Envoy or console only the ISS data is retransmitted.

See discussion https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6973.0
Manual page 14 https://www.davisinstruments.com/produc ... _06316.pdf

===
The envoy receives the ISS data and retransmits the data using another ID .
The MB built in "Meteostick" receives the data from the Envoy by air not by cable.
As the Envoy is not connected to the MB there is no problem with the serail/usb cable.
But again ISS (included wind), no extra soil sensors.

Wim

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks Wim,

But that's a little disappointing! :( If only the ISS RF reception (without UV and solar) will be retransmitted, meaning that I can't use winddirection and speed (other station), UV, solar, ground temperature, and one other TH-station. Only ISS TH, precipitation and one other TH will be received in that case. That isn't acceptable for me. So propably then I will use the repeater option of the Davis, expensive but if it works worthwhile. Do you know if that will bring the solution in my case?

Best regards,

Jeroen

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 pm

JeroenZwart wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Thanks Wim,

But that's a little disappointing! :( If only the ISS RF reception (without UV and solar) will be retransmitted, meaning that I can't use winddirection and speed (other station), UV, solar,
Only ONE ID can be retransmitted, as far as i know and read in the manuals
But that the normal ISS has temp/hum/rain/wind/uv and solar on 1 ID (often ID-1). The envoy/console uses the first free ID to retransmit the ISS-connected devices.
ground temperature, and one other TH-station. Only ISS TH, precipitation and one other TH will be received in that case.
No, all devices connected to the ISS are transmitted and retransmitted with 1 ID
That isn't acceptable for me. So probably then I will use the repeater option of the Davis
expensive but if it works worthwhile. Do you know if that will bring the solution in my case?
Best regards,
Jeroen
If you have a functioning Envoy you could also consider testing with an new USB logger. Ask the shop if you can return if the Envoy is faulty and not the logger/cable. A repeater costs 200euro, an usb logger 160. But better first replace the "telephone" cable in your setup as working at support learned me that "the cable" is often the culprit.

If you need to go the repeater way:
The manual https://www.davisinstruments.com/produc ... M_7627.pdf on page 8 specifies it can repeat all devices/ID's it receives to another console, so also to a Meteobridge.

Success, Wim

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks again, Wim, for your quick response.
But that the normal ISS has temp/hum/rain/wind/uv and solar on 1 ID (often ID-1). The envoy/console uses the first free ID to retransmit the ISS-connected devices.
Yes, but unfortunately my wind sensor uses a differen ID, because of a distance between the ISS and the wind mast.
No, all devices connected to the ISS are transmitted and retransmitted with 1 ID
I saw on the topic you pointed to solar and UV won't be retransmitted, but I believe you. Still means missing wind and other ID's...
If you have a functioning Envoy you could also consider testing with an new USB logger. Ask the shop if you can return if the Envoy is faulty and not the logger/cable. A repeater costs 200euro, an usb logger 160. But better first replace the "telephone" cable in your setup as working at support learned me that "the cable" is often the culprit.
Probably you are right, but as you say (and I beleive so) the repeater will solve the problem, I think I will go that way...

Jeroen

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 pm

wvdkuil wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 pm
Wim, Are you sure about that?

It is not an ID (as such) that is retransmitted, it is the Envoy/console data that is retransmitted and yes only one ID can be selected as the retransmit channel and this is user selectable (for he Envoy will need to be done with WeatherLink) and this ID must be different to any other ID's that are being used. For example if the Envoy is receiving say ISS=1, Wind=2, Temp=5 etc then the Re-transmit ID MUST be either 3 or 4 or 5 or 7 or 8 (user selectable) on which all the Envoy data is re-transmitted

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 pm

One is never sure: Console manual https://www.davisinstruments.com/produc ... _06312.pdf page 14:
Screen 3: Retransmit — Wireless Only
The console can retransmit the data it receives from the ISS to other Vantage Pro2 or Vantage Vue consoles using the retransmit feature. By toggling the feature on, the console becomes another transmitter that requires its own unique ID to transmit the data received from the ISS.
Data from the ISS is the only data that can be retransmitted by the console.
1. Press the + or - keys to turn the retransmit function on and off. The first available transmitter ID not used by the ISS or any optional sensor is automatically assigned.
Envoy manual https://www.davisinstruments.com/produc ... _06316.pdf page 13/14
Set Transceiver
Use the Set Transceiver dialog box to view and/or configure your Weather Envoy transmitter ID and repeater ID assignments and to control the retransmit function.
Note: Note: This dialog box is the only available tool for configuring the transmitter ID and repeater ID settings on your Weather Envoy.
Running the Software

To set transceiver options:
1. Select Set Transceiver from the Setup menu. The Set Transceiver dialog box displays.
2. Select a Station Type for each of the possible 8 transmitter IDs (“channels”) the Envoy may be receiving.
See the WeatherLink Online Help System for more information on configuring the stations, the retransmit feature, and configuring the Envoy for using repeaters.
I am confused also, only JeroenZwart can make sure by installing WeatherLink and then using the envoy as a repeater and check what the MB-Pro receives.
But also the help file in Weatherlink and the "Set transciever window" is not clear about,
Wim
Attachments
repeater.jpeg
repeater.jpeg (376.63 KiB) Viewed 335 times

JeroenZwart
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JeroenZwart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Wim and Mattk both thanks for your input, it's highly appreciated.
I am confused also, only JeroenZwart can make sure by installing WeatherLink and then using the envoy as a repeater and check what the MB-Pro receives.
Tomorrow I will try to use the Envoy as a repeater and see what happens then. But I am not convinced yet that it will bring me what I would like to get. And obviously I will inform you in this topic.

Jeroen