all about Meteohub on the new Raspberry PI platform

Moderator: Mattk

martin150
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: HOWTO: Run the Meteohub image on the Pi 3B+: Meteohub Frankenkernel edition

Post by martin150 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 am

:-(
Also got the 3B+ and after few trys i gave up .....
Just did make a new setup of my alix1d and still happy that the image is now running without any errors for the moment ...

5s is running but update on 5x is not working. 5s only shows
Demo Version has timed out. You need to purchase a license with the embedded PayPal function for further operation

Hope for an update!

lg
martin

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 am

Does anyone have an updated stats on whether the Frankenkernel hack still works with current kernel releases? In other words using the latest kernel image and drivers off the Github repository along with the latest Meteohub release, is this still possible? Note that you'll need to grab both the latest kernel image and matching drivers off Github, not use the kernel files I uploaded, since they need to match the drivers or they won't be loaded.

I don't want to risk my currently-running install to test the latest version otherwise I'd do it myself, but it'd be good to document which versions work for anyone else who wants to do this.

martin150
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by martin150 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm

My station is now running in testmodus.
I did setup a Raspy 2 with 5.0s then update to 5.1
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
rpi update

Switched the card to the 3B+ and it works now with sometimes booting problems. But when boot works, no errors any more.

I´m on whezzy kernel and didn´t try to update to jessie or stretch kernel.

LG

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am

A general note to people trying the Frankenkernel approach, the old images I prepared some time ago are now rather out of date, so rather than trying to find equally old drivers that match the kernel, you'd be better off creating a new image from the current kernel release and current drivers and using that.

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by BigAlT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:07 am

I updated my SD Card using the method detailed by Amortalis with one exception.
#4 rpi upgrade returns no such command error. Have to use rpi update instead as listed in Martin’s post.
I did the steps on an RPi 3B and the upgraded-updated Card works perfectly on my 3B+.

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm

it seems the MH Update 5.1b is now available and destroys the boot settings.
Yesterday I setup an new RPi 3+ without any problems with the approach described in this thread, but today I did the MH update, 5.1b was installed and that is the sad outcome
MH2_RPI_Failure_.jpg
MH2_RPI_Failure_.jpg (391.46 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi Boris,

any chance to create a new working MH SD-Card image for the new Raspi B+ models ready for download from your site?

Thanks
Wolfgang

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 am

wfpost wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm
today I did the MH update, 5.1b was installed and that is the sad outcome
Yeah, that's the problem, once you've got MH running on a 3B+ using the Frankenkernel approach you can never update it, because the official MH image still doesn't appear to support the 3B+. So the Frankenkernel approach works, but any attempt to move to the official MH image will brick the device.

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Two other things that cannot be setuo are Static IP and E-Mails
OK, Static IP being not this important, but mail should work, doesn´t.
Anybody has the same issue? Any solution getting it fixed ?

Entries with /home/meteohub/msmtprc are correct, because I compared it my other running meteohub RPi installation on Raspberry3 without the +.

Thanks
2019-03-16 16_23_56-MeteoHub.png
2019-03-16 16_23_56-MeteoHub.png (153.66 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:44 am

wfpost wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm
Two other things that cannot be setuo are Static IP and E-Mails
I haven't done anything with email, but I think I set the static IP from the command line and it worked fine, I needed it to SSH in and update other stuff. Having said that the UI seems to work for it...

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm

wfpost wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm
Entries with /home/meteohub/msmtprc are correct, because I compared it my other running meteohub RPi installation on Raspberry3 without the +.
Here's a guess, because the Meteohub images are running very old distros it could be that whatever Meteohub is expecting isn't there any more in a current distro. In particular getting an Exim error for an msmtp config file seems odd. Look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/msmtp and compare the contents to your file, if it has similar entries then it's an msmtp config file, not Exim.

HansR
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HansR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:29 pm

I just reinstalled my meteostation and was preparing to switch to Rpi 3B+. So I bought the whole thing, Rpi, SD cards, casing etc..., followed instruction on https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_RPI . That apparently was not good. So I started searching and ended up in this thread. Unfortunately that did not make me happy and leads me to the following questions :
  1. Is Boris still alive and maintaining the Meteo Hub software and if so, what is the problem with the 3B+ machine?
  2. Will there be a single image that really also works on a 3B+ ,the machine does exist already for some time now?
  3. I am a meteo enthusiast with knowledge of IT, not the other way around. But having said that: what needs to be done do create such the image I mentioned in the previous point. Is there a possibility to make it open source on github ? Or at least a more rapid release system?
  4. btw: I did not yet buy a MH licence at this point and if this 3B+ problem is not solved I probably won't and will look for another solution. Pity, because the idea is very good.
I think with all hard work done by members of this forum, with absence of Boris and cooperated development, one way or other, this is a dead end road. I will not install software which I can not upgrade easily and which cannot be maintained easily. All work done needs to lead to maintainable software. And at least some contact with the original builder (which I understand is Boris). The way it is, there is a single point of failure, cannot have that.

Hope the release-system and all can be improved.
Running a Davis Vantage PRO 2+. Meteohub does not work, and I have no response in the forum.
Returned to Cumulus[MX] and Saratoga scripts.
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl/

HansR
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HansR » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 am

No response so I leave MeteoHub for what it is.
Running a Davis Vantage PRO 2+. Meteohub does not work, and I have no response in the forum.

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Development seems to have switched mostly to the Meteobridge/Bridge Pro. I haven't tried the Frankenkernel hack for the Pi 4, but I would imagine it'd be even more hairy than on the 3B+. So the only way to run it on a Pi, unless you're prepared to go the Frankenkernel route which means never being able to update it, is to find an old Pi 2 or the original Pi 3 - but not a 3+ or 4! - somewhere and run on that.

HansR
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HansR » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:11 am

Yes, I got the message and another chain of software.
Thnx for replying.
Best,