question: new installation or clean up old

all about Meteohub on the new Raspberry PI platform

Moderator: Mattk

birdfeedr
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

question: new installation or clean up old

Post by birdfeedr »

I have relocated to a new geographic area, and it makes no sense to retain old data.
As the title asks, should I start with a new installation or just clear out old data?

Currently RPi Model B with Meteohub 5.0i

If I install the current version 5.0s, will it activate with the old activation code, or is the System ID changed in the process?
If I keep version 5.0i (it never gave me problems) how do I clear all sensor data in 1 step?

For 6 years, once it was set, I never needed to change anything, and I'm afraid there's a lot I've forgotten since then. :)

Thanks.

BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: question: new installation or clean up old

Post by BigAlT »

Looking at the manual I don’t see any way of clearing all of your old weather data. Unless Boris has a way of editing the data on the RPi SD card itself, the only way I can see to “ start fresh “ is to reinstall Meteohub V4s on a new micro SD card ( that way if anything goes wrong, you still have your original working Meteohub installation on your original micro SD card ).
To activate your new Meteohub installation you first will need to copy down your current system Id from the system information page of the web page ( be accurate using copy and paste ). You then need to copy down your current activation code from your maintenance page ( make sure it’s accurate using copy and paste ).
Then install meteohub V4S on your new micro SD card and follow the setup instructions from the Meteohub wiki. After you have logged into your new installation, copy down the new system ID from your System Information Page.
Then go to the Transfer page on the Meteohub Wiki https://wiki.meteohub.de/Transfer and in the bottom most transfer tool, copy in both the system ID and activation codes from your original Meteohub as well as the system ID from your newly installed V4s. Hit enter and the box labeled new activation code will be filled in with your new activation code. VERY IMPORTANT: copy this code down very carefully both by copy and paste and by eye first ( in case copy and paste fails ). If not exactly as displayed the activation process will not complete and you’ll have to contact Boris by email to get the code.

Be aware that once you complete the transfer your original Meteohub installation will no longer work as it’s activation code will no longer be authorized.

Enter the new activation code in in the activation code box on the maintenance page of your new installation and click on SAVE.
Your new V4s installation should now be activated.

Good Luck

birdfeedr
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by birdfeedr »

Thanks for the info. I suspected it was a clean install as the solution. Luckily, I have the email saved showing both System ID and Activation code.

While I was waiting to decide what to do with meteohub, I checked out WeeWx, which is currently under evaluation.
In the process, I upgraded the Vantage console firmware, which was an adventure in itself.
Found that the weather records are kept in an accessible database, outliers are easily found and corrected.
And the RPi kernel is up to date.

Still evaluating. The mechanism to get near-real-time data is tricky, so meteohub has one distinct advantage there.

Thanks again.

BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

I’m running Weewx on an RPi 3B+ and it works just fine. It uploads data to most, if not all of the same weather networks as Meteohub. You might consider upgrading you Model B to a more current version of the RPi. You might also consider switching to the Meteobridge platform. It’s much more versatile than the Meteohub platform, which Boris is no longer supporting with upgrades.
It is only supported on the 3B+ and 4 and would require a new license fee with a renewal every two years to continue to get updates ( which Boris is releasing all the time ). I’m running Meteobridge on a Nano SD and it works great. Check it out.