HOWTO: Run the Meteohub image on the Pi 3B+: Meteohub Frankenkernel edition

all about Meteohub on the new Raspberry PI platform

Moderator: Mattk

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: HOWTO: Run the Meteohub image on the Pi 3B+: Meteohub Frankenkernel edition

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am

Does anyone know whether the current release, 5.1, works on a 3B+ yet? There's nothing in the release announcements one way or the other, but I'd like to upgrade from the Frankenkernel I'm running at some point.

JaviGarbo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JaviGarbo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 pm

rainrainrain wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:22 am
For anyone else who wants to run Meteohub on a 3B+, I've uploaded the Frankenkernel files as rpi-updated-image.zip.

Note that this contains only the updated kernel and drivers to allow Meteohub to run on a 3B+. It contains no Meteohub files, you'll need to download the Meteohub image (currently 5.0s) and enter your license key to use it.

To apply the above, flash the Meteohub image, then unzip rpi-updated-image.zip over the top of the files in /boot. This will allow the system to run on the 3B+ hardware.

Do not update the Meteohub install! This will replace the Frankenkernel with older files and brick the system.

Hello everybody!

I just bought the RPi 2 weeks ago to migrate from NSLU2 and I was almost crazy trying to run meteohub on it. Thanks god I found this post...

Anyway, I tried to download the zip file but apparantely is not available anymore. Could you please upload it again? Event though the best solution would be an update of meteohub version...

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards from Seville (Spain)

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 am

Ah, sorry, that's a free-upload site that deletes files after awhile. Let me find somewhere else to use.

Alternatively, if someone has a random server availably to host things I can post it there.

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 am

It's now up at this location. Note that this gives you a bootable kernel, to add the drivers needed for things like the Meteostick you need to follow the instructions in this post.

JaviGarbo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by JaviGarbo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks a lot rainrainrain!

I tried with the process but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly... Moreover, I do not have my Davis with me (I live 1000km far from where I've got my station) so I don't know if I can test it without a station.

Just for you to know: I do not have any idea about RPI neither linux. So, I will start with really basic questions (if sb could give me some light would be wonderful)

What I did:

- Downloaded meteohub image (5.0s) and wrote it on the SD (8gb) with Win32disk image.
- Then downloaded the rpi-updated-image, copied the files from "overlays" file and pasted (and replaced) the files on the meteohub image (previously wrote on the SD card)
- 3rd I downloaded firmware-master and repeated the process I did before: copied the files from "overlays" file and pasted (and replaced) the files on the meteohub image.

Conected the RPI with a data cable (ethernet) to the router and turned it on. The RPI apparently is not connected to the internet and only red led is on.

My questions are:

Am I doing the process correctly? Can I test it without the station? Should I copy the whole file (boots) or only the files inside it? Before doing this process, should I set up the RPI with Raspbian or do any other process?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am

JaviGarbo wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 pm
- Downloaded meteohub image (5.0s) and wrote it on the SD (8gb) with Win32disk image.
- Then downloaded the rpi-updated-image, copied the files from "overlays" file and pasted (and replaced) the files on the meteohub image (previously wrote on the SD card)
- 3rd I downloaded firmware-master and repeated the process I did before: copied the files from "overlays" file and pasted (and replaced) the files on the meteohub image.

Conected the RPI with a data cable (ethernet) to the router and turned it on. The RPI apparently is not connected to the internet and only red led is on.
If I'm getting your description right then I don't think that'll work, you need to burn the image, then unzip the updated image files into /boot. Then insert the SD card into the Pi and boot it. It helps to connect an HDMI monitor so you can see whether it's hanging at the rainbow screen or not.

Once it's booted, you've got a bootable Raspbian system but no drivers. SSH into the system and install the firmware-master modules on the running system. When you reboot, it'll pick up the current drivers and use those.

One caveat, the rpi-updated-image was the current kernel when I did this some months ago, while rpi-firmware-master will contain more recent drivers - I did mention this was a Frankenkernel. So you may need to download the latest rpi-firmware-master.zip, extract everything from /boot in firmware-aster and put them into /boot on the SD card, then continue as above.

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:33 am

So just to repeat those steps:
  1. Download the latest rpi-firmware-master.zip.
  2. Copy the contents of /boot, including subdirectories, onto /boot on the SD card.
  3. Put the SD card in the Pi and boot it (hopefully).
  4. SSH in to the booted Pi and copy rpi-firmware-master.zip onto the system.
  5. Follow the driver setup instructions in this post.

Mikl46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Mikl46 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello everybody !

I have bought a raspi 3b+ in order to use it to save the data generated by my weather station. I am interested by Meteohub and I would like to have some details about the procedure described by rainrainrain in order to run Meteohub on the latest rpi device.

I have to tell that I am a totally new user of the raspi and Linux/Raspbian OS. My question is maybe stupid but I must ask...

In your procedure, you tell to copy rpi-firmware-master.zip after SSH on the booted rpi. Could you tell how you copy it ? If I understand well, the SD card is running on the Raspberry Pi and I don’t know how you can copy the zip file since it is only downloadable from another computer (such a PC)...

Thanks a lot for your response !

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Mikl46 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 pm
In your procedure, you tell to copy rpi-firmware-master.zip after SSH on the booted rpi. Could you tell how you copy it ? If I understand well, the SD card is running on the Raspberry Pi and I don’t know how you can copy the zip file since it is only downloadable from another computer (such a PC)...
You need to SSH over from another PC, so boot the Pi, then from whichever system you're copying the files over from use:

scp rpi-firmware-master.zip meteohub@[rpi-IP-address]:

This will copy over the files into your home directory on the Pi. Then extract the needed driver files and reboot the Pi.

Let me know if you have further questions, being used to Unix it's not always possible to tell what others will have problems with...

Mikl46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Mikl46 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:40 am

rainrainrain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 pm
You need to SSH over from another PC, so boot the Pi, then from whichever system you're copying the files over from use:

scp rpi-firmware-master.zip meteohub@[rpi-IP-address]:

This will copy over the files into your home directory on the Pi. Then extract the needed driver files and reboot the Pi.

Let me know if you have further questions, being used to Unix it's not always possible to tell what others will have problems with...
Thank you a lot rainrainrain !

While waiting for a response I tried an alternative method to copy these repertories :

1 - I copied the two repertories from my Windows 10 PC on a USB key formatted in FAT32.
2 - I plugged the key in the Pi and mounted it
3 - I used some basics Linux command (ls, pwd, mv...) and your posts to copy the repertories in /lib/modules/
4 - I checked if they were at the right place and they were there !!

Now I only had to buy my license to see if everything is OK. As I can't try the evaluation version of the software I nevertheless asked the Meteohub manager if I could have a refund in case of malfunction. Just in case...

Thanks again for your help ! I won't hesitate to ask you if I need.

Mikl46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Mikl46 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Well,

I think that what I did works : Meteohub recognizes my weather station.

After installing and testing my station, almost everything works fine except the WLAN. In the Network section, there's no WLAN section and I know that the Pi 3B+ can connect a network using the both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies.

Did/Do you have the same problem ?
And if you solved it, could you tell me how you did ?

Many thanks !

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:39 pm

I assume it'll be the same problem as with the Meteostick drivers, the combination of the very old kernel image that Meteohub ships with and the updated kernel files in the Frankenkernel configuration means that the Wifi drivers aren't loaded. You could try and find more recent drivers that match the kernel to put into /lib/modules, but there may be other updates that are required elsewhere as well, e.g. config files and scripts.

I don't run the Wifi on Pi's or similar devices, they're the cause of too much trouble, I use a Wifi bridge and run wired Ethernet to everything, that way i can always, or at least usually, connect to a device via SSH or whatever and fix it if anything breaks. In other words I outsource the (flaky) Wifi part to an external device and run (more reliable) wired Ethernet to the Pi and other devices.

Mikl46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Mikl46 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Hi rainrainrain,
So I think I will continue with the wired configuration. It works at least.
I think about another project that needs also a Raspberry Pi. I will perhaps choose a RPI model 3B I’ll use with Meteohub and the 3B+ with my other project. I’ll see…
Anyway, thank you very much for your time and the details you gave to help me.

Mikl46

jpouyaud
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jpouyaud » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm

hi all,

can we have a clear statement from the Admin please

does the 5.0s support the Pi 3 B + or not ?

the website site says version 5.0s supports RPI Model B, Model B+, Model 2 and Model 3:

I've just purchased a Pi3B + on amazon and it's looks like I've the same issue than the one mentioned in this post...

regards

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am

I'm not the admin, but no, it doesn't. The 3B+ isn't compatible with the 3B, and 5.0s doesn't run on the 3B+.