all about Meteohub on the new Raspberry PI platform

Moderator: Mattk

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Meteohub kills every SD card

Post by martinkk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am

Hi all,

I've been using meteohub for 4 years now. Within these 4 years I had to replace my SD card 9 times already. I even bought industry certified cards, which (of course) did not help, but I gave it a try. I also exchanged the power supply, just to make sure that this is not the root cause.

In the end I found out that Meteohub is just writing to too much (too often) data to the card, so that the card simply starts getting corrupted after a few weeks or months already. A simple solution would be to put the whole system onto a USB HDD. Has anyone ever done this? Or just move the data to an external HDD?

For all my custom scripts (webcam, various backups etc) I am using a RAM drive and/or my NAS as the target. That helps protect the card from unnecessary write operations, but still the cards break within a few months.

Proposals to at least improve this situation:
- make it possible to write all data, logs etc to an external USB drive (e.g. HDD)
- enable/disable all logs (I don't need the anyway if everything works fine. If not, it's always the SD card that broke....)

How can anyone live with this situation?

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteohub kills every SD card

Post by Mattk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 am

Well there are SD cards and then there are SD cards and then there may be something else? I am well aware of the old USB issues using non SLC cards and the reason why the nanoSD has specific card makes/models but up until now are you the only one having such a bad run? Why isn't every one else having the same issues as if there were it would be deafening but why isn't everybody having the same issues and if they are then why are they not speaking up? There is something rather odd here?

So who else is living with such an issue?

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by martinkk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Well, looking at some other forums there are quite some people with this issue. Even in this forum there are a few threads about this.

If you could recommend a card that will work for at least a year it would be great! :) I really tried a lot. I even bought a ridiculously expensive industrial card. Problem is that these cards more or less only offer a better temperature range, but from error correction perspective there's not really a difference to cheaper cards.

In another thread I also mentioned that I removed all my custom scripts from the meteohub raspi to other raspis. Still, the cards get corrupted after a few months of use. :(

Is there any chance to disable all the logs?

What if I would attach an external HDD and mount this disk as /data and copy everything from /data on the SD card to that HDD? Would that help to protect the SD card? I guess so... Do you know which other data could be easily moved to an external HDD?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Just go with an industrial SLC SD card from ATP or swissbit and you are fine. Be prepared to spend >50 Euro/USD for a 4 GB model.

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by martinkk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:16 pm

According to the specs it should last around 3-4 years, considering the specified Nr of write cycles. Taking all the log files, database entries, graphs etc into account I would not give it more than 2-3 years. Maybe worth trying. :) thanks!

The "industrial" sd cards offered by Samsung, Kensington etc are not really better than the consumer ones.

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 pm

martinkk wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:16 pm
....The "industrial" sd cards offered by Samsung, Kensington etc are not really better than the consumer ones.
They are not what one would really call "industrial" in the true sense at all, they are typically not SLC and no where near server grade what so ever.

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by martinkk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Exactly. They just have a different temp range in the datasheet and that's it.

Manhart
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Manhart » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm

I moved my data onto a USB stick. The description for the procedure to move the data from the SD card to the USB stick is described here:

https://www.beathis.ch/cgi/Wordpress/?p=1790 (only in german)

My system runs fine for more than 3 years now.

Regards

Matthias

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by martinkk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 am

haha, what a nice coincidence! Yesterday I did the same using an external USB HDD. :mrgreen:
I also brought back the webcam and the additional Bosch sensor to the meteohub raspi.

Improvements:
- external 2.5" HDD to store everything in /data
- external power supply for the HDD; the webcam and the USB-WDE1 (USB weather data receiver)

There should be hardly any write/erase on the sd card anymore.

Next step:
- get rid of the stupid Fritz! Repeater and use power LAN for the station.

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 am

USB sticks have the same technology at hand as do CF, SD, microSD etc if they are not proper industrial SLC versions then USB sticks can fail exactly the same as similar memory cards of inferior quality.

As far as a USB HDD then that simply defeats the whole purpose the hardware and doesn't necessarily solve the real problem either.

Manhart
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Manhart » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 pm

The SD card is not connected via USB with the Raspberry Pi. The problems with Rapsberry Pi and SD Card are well known - ask Google. My USB stick is working now for more than 3 years without any problems. All my trials with SD cards (robust and expensive ones) were not successful.I assume, that the different way of the connection (hardware and drivers) could be one of the reasons for the problems with the SD Cards.

Regards Matthias

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm

strange, I run FlightAware (Piaware) image on a raspberry PI 3B with SD card for a number of years without any issues. Plenty of other users i know run CumulusMX on a pi without issues too for a number of years.

martinkk
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by martinkk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 pm

ConligWX wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm
strange, I run FlightAware (Piaware) image on a raspberry PI 3B with SD card for a number of years without any issues. Plenty of other users i know run CumulusMX on a pi without issues too for a number of years.
Are you using raspbian? As far as I know raspbian should be quite optimized to avoid SD card failures. Not sure if thi was considered when the meteohub image for the a raspi was created...?

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:09 pm

yep flightaware uses raspbian