This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

meteofabro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Problem with router asus and balanced dual wan with meteobridge PRO-RF

Post by meteofabro »

Hello.

For some time now, I have had a problem with the internet connection on my PRO-RF meteobridge.
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router with dual balanced wan, as a primary wan I have a tiscali fiber and as a secondary wan a vodafone station with ADSL connection.
Until recently everything worked smoothly, I at least did not notice this problem.
It happens that if the second Wan drops and loses the connection and therefore no longer returns his public address, the PRO-RF meteobridge no longer sends data to the internet on various weather networks.
The problem is strange, in fact the main WAN works regularly and all the other connected devices work regularly, only the meteobridge stops if the second WAN falls.
Attached I send some screenshots of the current situation of the network on the blocked meteobridge.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It is now recurring if the second WAN falls.
Attachments
error_on_wan_1.jpg
error_on_wan_1.jpg (214.66 KiB) Viewed 249 times
2020-06-29 15_49_15-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Mappa di rete.png
2020-06-29 15_49_15-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Mappa di rete.png (235.18 KiB) Viewed 249 times
2020-06-27 21_20_52-Meteobridge Landing Page.png
2020-06-27 21_20_52-Meteobridge Landing Page.png (92.72 KiB) Viewed 249 times

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Problem with router asus and balanced dual wan with meteobridge PRO-RF

Post by galfert »

Set the 2nd WAN as Fail Over. There are all kinds of problems when you load balance across different carriers. Too many SOHO routers just do not implement load balancing correctly to make it functional.

You likely have a WAN connection that you prefer anyway. That should be your primary. Only switch to the secondary if the first one goes down. Ask yourself this question....do you have so much bandwidth going through your primary WAN that you need the secondary? Or isn't the secondary really just a backup in case you lose the first? Load balancing is a solution to remedy capacity. It is not a solution for link failure. You most likely do not have a capacity problem.

Switch router setting to Fail Over and then manually fail the primary (disconnect the cable) and see what happens. Then test Fail Back when you return the WAN 1 connection.
Asus Fail Over.jpg
Asus Fail Over.jpg (123.59 KiB) Viewed 238 times
MR3020 v1
GW1000

meteofabro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by meteofabro »

hello garfert.

Yes I know there are many problems with the balanced double wan, I use it not for convenience on bandwidth but to have access to the second network, in fact in the secondary WAN (vodafone station with ADSL router) which is located in another home about 100 meters from mine, I have a Foscam CAM Weather.
I connected the two routers with a simple WIFI bridge.
This is why I use dual WAN balancing, so I can reach and manage the cam also on an address other than the main router (ex 192.168.1.45:88 against a range of 192.168.10.X addresses of the primary wan on Asus router) .
As you can see from the attached screenshot, I also said that the IP address of the meteobridge 192.168.10.80 must be managed by the primary WAN, but nothing has changed, if the vodafone router drops the carrier and there is no internet, the meteobridge from there error on WAN connection and no longer sends data to the internet.
In your opinion, can I work with the OpenWrt of the meteobridge so that it can only use the primary WAN and stuff?
Attachments
2020-06-29 15_51_20-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Doppia WAN.png
2020-06-29 15_51_20-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC68U - Doppia WAN.png (102.59 KiB) Viewed 225 times

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert »

If you have a need to reach the other network then doing so with load balancing is not the solution I would have used. Instead there are two other options to reach the webcams. You could reach them via the Internet if you open and forward ports. But a better way would be to set up VPN between both networks through the Internet (point to point VPN using each locations routers as end points). And an even better way than VPN in your case is to use a layer 3 switch and then set up VLANs and then you can even create a wireless bridge between the locations on the second VLAN.

I get what you are doing but it just would not be how I would have done it.

As for messing with OpenWrt on the Meteobridge..... Hmmmm.... Maybe but I can't advise you there.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

meteofabro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by meteofabro »

thank you ... I see what I can do.

meteofabro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder