Meteobridge Pro and Davis repeater?

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

Warb
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteobridge Pro and Davis repeater?

Post by Warb »

I'm in the process of setting up my new Meteobridge Pro, and I have a question about the Davis repeater. I've done a few searches and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how this is configured in the Meteobridge Pro. Various sources state the meteostick is now able to receive from a Davis repeater, but I can't find reference on how to configure this (or even if config is required or possible) for the Meteobridge Pro.

Currently the Meteobridge Pro is set to use the built-in RF to receive channel 5 (the ISS). This is working (at around -70 to -80dB), however I am unsure whether it is receiving directly from the ISS, or from the repeater. Is there a way to tell, or a place to configure this? I'd really like to know where the signal is coming from before I start the process of moving things about to optimise the signal!!

I realise that I could physically remove the repeater and see what happens, but the repeater is used by my existing system and if possible I'd prefer to leave that undisturbed until I'm ready to transition to the new setup!

Thanks for any advice!

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge Pro and Davis repeater?

Post by admin »

Meteobridge PRO red reads repeater signals, but it does not need you to specify that separately.

Warb
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Warb »

admin wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 am
Meteobridge PRO red reads repeater signals, but it does not need you to specify that separately.
OK, thanks. That's interesting because I'm currently getting very poor reception - the MBPro is about 10m from the repeater but is only sporadically receiving data and frequently logging "restarting meteostick (300 secs no valid rf signal)". The Vantage console is a further meter or two away from the repeater (the MBPro is actually between them) yet it seems to get much better reception, which was why I was hoping the MBPro was getting direct ISS data as that would explain the reception issues!

Tomorrow I'll try relocating the MBPro, and perhaps switching off the Wifi (using a cabled ethernet connection) to see if I can improve things! The Davis console is also rebroadcasting to a second console in my office, so perhaps the signals are interfering or confusing the MBPro?..... I'll investigate and experiment further!

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

Please watch the RF sensitivity settings being at -80db, -70db or less when the signal is nearby.

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk »

So how far is the Repeater from the ISS? Have you considered in re-designing your network/configuration?

Do you really need a repeater in conjunction with the consoles if they are all basically sitting on top of each other? The Repeater is not achieving much as the console sitting beside it should have the same reception and really doesn't benefit much from the repeater considering you are broadcasting from console anyway?

Warb
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Warb »

More experimentation, and answers to the questions posted above!

The ISS is about 70m from the console. In the past I ran much greater distances between the ISS and repeater, up to about 250m, and then a further 70m from the repeater to the console, without issues. Please note that I live on a farm, flat, line-of-sight, and the only RF interference is from my own WiFi and point-to-point network links. However I then built a new house and things fell apart...

What I've discovered, as far as I can tell at present, is that my new house and its contents is very unfriendly towards Davis RF. Having spent a few hours playing with the MBPro, using the RF status on the display (and a battery to power it) is that the combination of foil backed wall insulation, corrugated iron roof, coated window glass and metal (aluminium) fly-screens is massively detrimental to RF. With the MBPro outside on a table, the signal runs at around 47db. At the same distance from the repeater (but inside the Faraday cage that is my house) it drops to somewhere between 75db and losing the signal entirely. Even on the sill of an open window (still inside the fly-screen) the signal is 68db or worse. So the fly-screen alone is taking it from 47db to 68db!

The reason for the repeater so close to the house (about 11m from the console) is because that was the only way I could get a signal on the console. Having now used the MBPro as an RF tester I can see why! I can also see why the console retransmits to the second console without problems - the internal walls don't have the foil backed insulation in them!

My next experiment will be to mount the MBPro outside (in a box!), connected to the LAN via cable and powered using PoE (I have a PoE to USB "splitter"). Hopefully that will allow the MBPro to receive the repeater signal in a more reliable manner. If that works, I can contemplate how to proceed and possibly move the ISS and remove the repeater.... or hack a console to use an external antenna?