Beginner can't get meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3 card to boot

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO, NANO SD and Raspberry Pi units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Beginner can't get meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3 card to boot

Post by dennis48755 »

Hello, New prospective Meteobridge user here.

I used the RPi imager to load meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3.bin on a SDSDQED-016G-XI from Mouser for use in a RPi4.
When I apply power to the RPi4, I don't see the red LED blink at all, the green LED blinks a couple times.
Not sure what to do, attached is a camera shot of the monitor.
Currently attached to the RPi; HDMI Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Network & Power.

Thanks
Dennis
Attachments
20211123_180204.jpg
20211123_180204.jpg (233.41 KiB) Viewed 244 times
BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Beginner can't get meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3 card to boot

Post by BigAlT »

Is the RPi imager you used the program from Raspberry Pi that loads the pre packaged Raspberry Pi images ?. If so, I suggest trying to reload the image using Balena Etcher and see if that might solve your issue.
I don’t believe that the RPi imaging software is compatible with the Meteohub RPi images.
grwkak
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by grwkak »

I found the etcher imaging approach "better" - in my case using rpi imager I had issues importing data. Once I reimaged with etcher - no issues.

Guy
dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dennis48755 »

BigAlT & grwkak, THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.

Yes I did use the RPI Imager following the instructions on Copying the Meteobridge disk image onto a Raspberry Pi microSD card.

After re-imaging the SD card with BalenaEtcher 1.7.0 I get the same results
Attachments
20211125_152308.jpg
20211125_152308.jpg (240.19 KiB) Viewed 199 times
dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dennis48755 »

I'm making progress.

I used the RPi Imager to erase/format the SD card (couldn't see how to do it with Etcher) then used Etcher to re-image the card.

The RPi4 boots and I am now into the Meteobridge GUI.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis
dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dennis48755 »

I spoke to soon, after making a couple changes in the Meteobridge GUI (Static IP) which required a reboot, I'm back to my original problem.

Also I ordered to cards from Mouser so I tried creating the meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3 image on the 2nd card using Etcher. Same problem.

All boot attempts result in a screen matching the previous attachments.

Also, I will add, I am using the RPi Official USB-C Power Supply (5.1V 3A)

Dennis

Added: I used the RPI Imager to create the RPi OS on a standard SD card and the RPi4 boots to the Raspberry desktop fine.
BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Have you tried downloading the Meteobridge RPi image again and reflashing with it ?. Possibly your original download was corrupted.
dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dennis48755 »

Same results with new download.

Dennis
BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

What do each of The LEDs do upon first booting with a newly flashed image ?.
Another thought is that your power supply isn’t actually putting out enough power.
As an example, I recently got both an RPi Zero W and an RPi Zero 2 W for a project. I created identical images on identical micro SD cards and used a power supply rated at 3 Amps. The Zero W booted fine every time. The Zero W 2 would not boot. The led ( the Zero series only have 1 green led ) would start to flash and then flicker, then go out.
I reflashed the card numerous times and tried with different sizes and types of cards. No luck. I then tried another power supply ( rated at 5 Amps ). It then booted right up.
It’s possible that the Meteobridge image upon first boot needs to access a part of the RPi 4 hardware that the RPi desktop image doesn’t use on first boot and therefore Is drawing more power than your power supply is actually capable of supplying. Might explain the difference in performance of the Meteobridge and desktop images
Just a thought. Thanks
dennis48755
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dennis48755 »

Thanks BigAlT,

What you are saying makes sense but I don't believe that is my problem because of how quickly the hang condition occurs, like 8-10 seconds. Because of the short duration I find it difficult to describe the LED's, so I made a video of the boot process.

The video on YouTube can be seen here.

Dennis
BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

My RPi Zero 2 W hangs just as fast. If you want a little more powerful power supply you can get one of these on Amazon ( CanaKit 3.5A Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply (USB-C) ) or one of these ( SHNITPWR 5V 5A DC Power Supply Adapter 5 Volt 5 Amp 25W AC 100V~240V to DC Converter Transformer LED Driver with 5.5x2.5mm DC Tip for WS2812B WS2813 LED Pixel Strip TV Box USB HUB Raspberry Pi Arduino ) and a USB C to 2.5mm x 5.5mm dc plug adapter.