MBP red rebooting failure: "Format Storage" then "Format failed" then "No network found" messages

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

DouglasW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

MBP red rebooting failure: "Format Storage" then "Format failed" then "No network found" messages

Post by DouglasW » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello Boris,

May I ask for some assistance for my MBP Red S/N 493 purchased from Prodata in the UK in May 2017? Thank you.

On another thread I reported my MBP red had developed a strange problem where the wifi access point could not be disabled when connected to a Huawei 3531 USB 3G modem despite checking and unchecking the box and rebooting.

I disconnected the Huawei USB modem and have been running the MBP off my satellite broadband router with no problems for the last few days. Today I decided to try a factory reset so I made a note of all my settings and started from scratch, connecting it to my satellite broadband LAN.

I had to reboot several times to get all my custom changes and each time it successfully transmitted data to windfinder.com.

In preparation for reconnecting the Huawei USB modem, on my last reboot under the system tag, I set it up to use the installed version of the software (which is 3.4 build 11556 and had been running satisfactorily prior to that). The MBPRed was still set to boot off the LAN and the Huawei USB modem was not connected.

During the boot process I saw a new message

"Format Storage"

Then "Format Failed"

Then "No Network found" with rapid red light flashing.

It now will not complete the boot process. I have tried Reboot LAN client and Factory reset without success. After each of these it seems to reboot as a WiFi access point and the screen gives me a SSID and a WLAN IP. However, my phone, tablet and Macbook Pro cannot see the SSID automatically under their WiFi settings. When I type the SSID in, they still do not find the WiFi AP.

Lastly, my satellite broadband LAN is working fine with my other devices and the Huawei USB modem is working fine in my Macbook Pro. I normally connect my Macbook Pro to my satellite router via WiFI but I have tried connecting to the satellite broadband router LAN using the same cable as I usually have the MBP Red connected to. The Macbook Pro works perfectly on this connection connected through its USB C to ethernet adapter cable.

So at the moment I am off air. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Douglas

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: MBP red rebooting failure: "Format Storage" then "Format failed" then "No network found" messages

Post by Mattk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Internal USB storage may have failed? For now you could try inserting a USB stick in the external USB.

DouglasW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: MBP red rebooting failure: "Format Storage" then "Format failed" then "No network found" messages

Post by DouglasW » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:04 am

Thank you for excellent suggestion Matt.

I have just tried attaching a FAT32 USB stick but no change. I no longer get the Format Storage or Format failed message. It now boots straight to WiFi AP but no WiFi SSID signal is detected. I can still use a pin to alter the boot options. Reboot to LAN results in no Network detected. Factory reset boots straight to WiFi AP (even though a live ethernet cable is plugged in) but no SSID is broadcast.

In case there was a problem with the satellite router, I have disabled the satellite broadband router and connected an Apple Airport extreme to the satellite modem and am now using that as the router. All my other devices are now connected through the Airport extreme and are working normally over wifi or ethernet but not the MBP Red.

Thanks again for your consideration and suggestion.

Douglas

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 am

when you connect the MB PRO with an Ethernet cable to your LAN and select "LAN DCHP CLIENT" mode with the pinhole button MB PRO will reboot and connect to your LAN as expected.

When you can give me remote access, I can have a look at the USB storage issue. Please send URL and password to "info(at)meteobridge.com".

DouglasW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by DouglasW » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Boris, I am deeply impressed not only are you working at the weekend, you have powers over Meteobridge Pros that are not connected to the internet and not even switched on!!! :) :)

admin>
when you connect the MB PRO with an Ethernet cable to your LAN and select "LAN DCHP CLIENT" mode with the pinhole button MB PRO will reboot and connect to your LAN as expected.
Yesterday I did this multiple times but each time I would get the Reboot DHCP Client message then the countdown screen then it would automatically reboot into WiFI AP mode which gave the SSID and IP on the screen but was nonfunctional.

I left the MBP Red disconnected from power overnight and thanks to your mysterious intervention and confident prediction...
MB PRO will reboot and connect to your LAN as expected.
As you predicted it rebooted to LAN normally!!! :) :)

There were no Format storage or Format failed messages this time and I can adjust all settings. One thing I noticed is that the welcome screen displays the IP number again. It has not done this for several days though the device was still working and connected to the LAN and the internet beyond.

I will email my details, thank you so much for your prompt attention, out of hours!! :)

Douglas