Setting up a webcam **solved**

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Setting up a webcam **solved**

Post by gdb10 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:53 pm

I am new to the online weather station/weather cam/meteobridge equipment. I have had a weather station for over 10 years that just provided me with the info available on the screen for my personal use.

I have recently purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2 and the meteobridge PRO. I also purchased an Amcrest IP wireless/wired camera that I have hardwired to my router. I am interested in creating a weather web page and am in the process of researching setting one up.

I have set up the software in the camera to send images via FTP to weatherundergound. Images are getting to WeatherUnderground Camera, but to be honest Im not sure if the MB PRO is sending them or the camera software.

Here is my question. I see a section under the MB PRO for Meteobridge Webcam. Obviously I dont have Ubiquite camera, but is there a way to have the MB PRO capture an image from my camera and send it to the meteobridge server so I can edit it then send it in to weather underground. I put the URL referencing the camera in the external picture area, but I have a feeling that that is not getting an image from my camera. (I do get a green check when I put the url in the blank)

When I hit the icon for the meteobridge camera under weather stations I get a message that the server will not accept the connection/ or the server is not reachable.
If it is possible to have the MB Pro capture an image from my camera, then could get a short step by step guide on what the settings need to be on the MB PRO to get this accomplished.
I need to
1. Connect my camera to the MB PRO so that it can capture an image (if possible)
2. Settings to upload the image to the meteobridge server so I can edit the image
3. Retrieve the image and upload it to my website and/or the weather underground camera.
Again, apologize if this has been outlined somewhere else. I have looked at the meteobridge website where it covers editing the image, but I cant get a clear understanding on the capture and upload from my webcam.

Thanks in advance for any help.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Setting up a webcam

Post by admin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 pm

First, you need a URL where your camera provides a still image.
Have you figured out this URL? It varies from CAM to CAM.
Second, insert that URL in the CAM URL field on Meteobridge "Station" tab.
Press "save" and you are fine.

Please keep in mind that your CAM should have a fixed IP in your LAN.
Otherwise Meteobridge will request data from an IP that might no longer
be used by your CAM.

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gdb10 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks.

But I'm still not completely clear on the process

Areyou saying that the camera software will upload an image to the URL that I put in the STATION section. Either my camera software or a 3rd party software will handle getting the image from the camera to the URL? meaning I don't put the ip address of the camera itself in the url (The camera does have a fixed ip address by the way)

Then how does the image get to the metoebridge server and the edited image to weather underground.

Sorry if this is too elementary, but I guess I just have a mind block on doing this. Ive been fighting this for a month now, but can't seem to get it to work correctly. While Im not an expert on uploading images, port forwarding, ftp, etc, I do have a good enough understanding to follow an outline of the process.

Sorry and Thanks

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am

Simply find out with your browser which URL to call to have your camera reporting a jpeg image.

When IP of your cam is 192.168.1.123 then some cams report a still image on URL "http://192.168.1.123/snap.jpg". But this is just an example it depends from the type of camera you have. Use google or read your cams handbook to find out how to grab a still image from your camera. We don't know.

Ian.
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Ian. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:26 pm

I have a Hikvision and the this is in the camera line on Meteobridge:

http://user:password@10.10.10.200/Strea ... /1/picture

Hope it helps
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gdb10 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:21 am

Success!! Thanks for the help.
Now if you can have the patience to take me one more step and give me the guidance on uploading the image to the meteobridge server so I can edit it.

Again many thanks for the help

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gdb10 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 am

Everything seems to be working as far as the image capture from my web cam (thanks again for that help). If I put the url entered for the camera into my browser I get an image from my camera, so I know the image is being captured. But the image is not uploading to the meteobridge server: Under the live data I get the message next to meteobridge weather cam: "No Upload Activity". And when I hit the icon next to the meteobridge weather cam under weather nets I get the error: The requested URL /cam/132435446c6c50336cea82e8d98833c1/cam.jpg was not found on this server.

Also, the upload to my weather underground cam is no longer working.

Sorry for the problems, but I think I am close, just can't seem to get all the pieces working

Thanks in advance for your help

Ian.
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Ian. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi

Are you getting a tick next to the webcam on the setting screen, and in live data, does this show the upload is ok as per the pics attached.

This is a good resource on getting ip webcams to link- https://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx

Ian
Attachments
live.PNG
live.PNG (3.4 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
meteoraw.PNG
meteoraw.PNG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gdb10 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks Ian

I do get a tick in the webcam box on the station setup. And if I put that same url in my browser I get an image instantly from my camera. But no, Under Live Data, I get "No Upload Activity" next to the Meteobridge Weather Cam:

Thats why I think I have one setting off somewhere. I know I have to be close.

Ian.
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Ian. » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:02 am

is your webcam outputting .JPG rather than .jpg
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gdb10 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:42 am

it is putting out a jpeg.

Would that make a difference to meteobridge.
I took an image directly off the camera and uploaded it to weather underground successfully with my ftp program.

I just can't get the MBP to upload the image

Ian.
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Ian. » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 am

I'm not sure to be honest, their may be a conversion script within MB pro from .jpeg to jpg, its the only thing I can think of which is different to my setup.
Boris will be along shortly who will know for sure.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:30 pm

When you enable remote access and send URL and password for remote login I can look at it.
Please send credentials to "info(at)smartbedded.com".

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for providing your login credentials. As the solution might also be interesting for others I post my findings here:

I can login and reach both pix (cam and camplus) with the provided links, but
camplus does not have the expected weather annotation as the input image
has different width/height relation than the standard templates made for
the Ubiquiti cams assume. Resulting image size for your setting is 640x360
instead of the expected 640x480. Therefore the footer is located outside your
converted image boundaries. Below you find the modified conversion string,
which I entered manually.

Code: Select all

-resize 640x360 -fill black -draw "fill-opacity 0.7 rectangle 0 340 640 360" -pointsize 12 -fill orange -draw "text 1 355 '[YYYY]-[MM]-[DD] [hh]:[mm]'" -fill white -draw "text 105 355 'Temp: [th0temp-act=F.1:--] °F    Hum: [th0hum-act.0:--] %    Press: [thb0seapress-act=inhg.2:--] inHg    Wind: [wind0avgwind-act=mph.1:--] mph    Gust: [wind0wind-max5=mph.1:--] mph    Rain: [rain0total-sumday=in.2:--] in'"
Result looks now fine to me:
camplus2.jpeg
camplus2.jpeg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

When you select "Imp. EN (Cam 1.2/3.x)" the standard conversion for
that Ubiquiti camera works fine, as they have a width/height relation
comparable to your cam. Result also looks fine:
camplus.jpeg
camplus.jpeg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

gdb10
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Setting up a webcam **solved**

Post by gdb10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm

I really appreciate the help. Thanks a million for getting it up and running.