Data Loss on Power Failure

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

Robbie936
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Data Loss on Power Failure

Post by Robbie936 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 am

I live in a rural area and my power supply is fed from a SWER line. Power losses do occur from time to time due to weather conditions - trees falling on the supply line or lightening strikes. The power is most often only lost for say 15 seconds but it is enough to cause a router and meteobridge reboot.
Why is it that when i view my meteobridge graph i have lost 6 hours of data?. The Vantage pro console the meteobridge is connected to has battery backup so no data is lost.
Is there a system log i can look at somewhere?
See attached graph
Thank you
Robbie
Attachments
Meteobridge Graph.png
Meteobridge Graph.png (68.23 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Data Loss on Power Failure

Post by Mattk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:19 am

An MB doesn't play data catchup after a power outage even if the VP has battery backup. Looking at the graph then the power outage appears to be more than 15 seconds?

The real way to fix this is to add some backup power management to the whole system, including MB, router etc but even then this doesn't control any power issues beyond your own boundaries but it will maintain your overall data archive.

ConligWX
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 am

is your "Save historical data" (station tab) set to something very high? so the power outage happened after 10 hours or so after a previous saving, and perhaps the data was then lost?

Robbie936
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Robbie936 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Thank you for your replies. The "save historical data" setting is 30 minutes so i should have lost no more than that time frame.

ConligWX
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 pm

yes that should be fine. why the loss of many hours of data, is beyond me if the Nano came up within a short time.

I would strongly suggest investing in a small UPS to keep the NANO awake then, especially if you have frequent outages.

ConligWX
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 pm

as you dont want a surge to blow the Console or NANO.

weatherist34
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:58 am

Robbie936 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 pm
Thank you for your replies. The "save historical data" setting is 30 minutes so i should have lost no more than that time frame.
living here in istanbul electric outages are weekly all year round worst we had was 46 hours but it happens weekly . get yourself a small 800va-1000va UPS designed for a desktop computer there efficient enough to prevent data loss and good for aprox 48 hours . i got mine a couple of years ago just for this purpose i paid around $50 based on the exchange rate so may be cheaper today or more probably most now have various additional facilities like phone socket etc , mine just has two mains outputs and just powers weather station and internet router ..well worth buying if loss of data is concerned during outages..