Meteobridge Pro (red) & Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus reception/re-transmission issues. **solved**

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO, NANO SD and Raspberry Pi units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

VashtaNerada
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteobridge Pro (red) & Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus reception/re-transmission issues. **solved**

Post by VashtaNerada »

Hi,

I have recently set up my Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (wireless) and Meteobridge Pro (red), the latter being connected to my router by ethernet cable. I have two consoles, both of which receive a strong signal and very little packet loss.

For the various sensor reports (under the Raw Sensor Data tab), the Meteobridge Pro typically reports a signal strength of 85-90 db but often 90-95 db. Sometimes a signal may not be reported for many minutes or more, or even an hour. This is more likely to happen with the solar and UV sensors, although occasionally weak signals may be associated with other sensors. This leads to numerous gaps in the data, which are particularly clear when graphed on Weather Underground.

The Meteobridge is as close to the weather station as I can get it. The obvious solution seems to be for it to pick up a re-transmitted signal from the nearest console, which is only 2 to 3 metres away. So, I set that console to re-transmit. Meteobridge continues to report the weak signals from the ISS and seemingly isn’t picking up the re-transmission.

The Wiki PRO Tutorial says, under “Console Retransmits”: “.... you need to change the Meteostick settings on "Weather Station" tab regarding bandwidth from "small" to "normal". Furthermore, you have to select the transmitter ID the Console is using for the retransmits”.

Presuming this to be under the Station > Primary Station tabs (screenshot below), (1) I see no option to change bandwidth from small to normal and (2) I’m not clear on how to select the transmitter ID that the console is using for retransmits.

Any insight would be much appreciated; thank you in advance!
meteobridge_station.PNG
meteobridge_station.PNG (70.22 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge Pro (red) & Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus reception/re-transmission issues

Post by Mattk »

Signal strength you are seeing is normal as the Davis typically does have better reception than the MBPro (red).

There are 2 solutions, re-transmit from an existing console or add a repeater.

The Wiki hasn't caught up with the current firmware
(1) I see no option to change bandwidth from small to normal
Under Settings select "Receive RF data via console(Re-transmit)"
(2) I’m not clear on how to select the transmitter ID that the console is using for retransmits
This has to be set in the console and on a different Tx ID to that of the ISS, Can be changed via the Console or in WeatherLinkPC. Do you have a console manual? Do you have a logger connected via a PC?

Since your current ISS is transmitting on #1 and if your console was re-transmitting on #2 then you would remove the Transmitter #1 from the Sensor configuration box and add a Transmitter #2 as Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS)

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge Pro (red) & Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus reception/re-transmission issues

Post by galfert »

Another option to consider is to instead use a WeatherLink Live to feed the Meteobridge PRO.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

Please change to -85db. -95db will pick up tons of RF noise which might blind the RF receiver.

WS Heinenoord
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by WS Heinenoord »

I also had difficulties with Davis station reception, But got it cured by changing to a larger antenna.
See topic viewtopic.php?f=61&t=14859&p=33198&hilit=antenna#p33198
Since then no longer issues.

VashtaNerada
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by VashtaNerada »

Many thanks for all the comments. I do have the console manual and I do not have a logger connected via PC.

I have successfully set up console re-transmission on #2 (and have deleted #1 from MB Pro (red)), as per the feedback. This is being picked up by the MB Pro, since I am now seeing signals in the range of -30 to -50 db, as opposed to the -85 to -95 db range. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that I continue to see things that don’t make sense.

(1) Using the re-transmission route, I am now seeing even more gaps in the data when graphed on Weather Underground, instead of fewer or no gaps. This makes me wonder what data the console is picking up every few seconds - maybe wind speed and direction (Tx every 2.5 seconds, apparently), while I wonder if less frequent data packets (every 10 s, 20s and 1 mn) are therefore more likely to be missed altogether. Yet the console diagnostic screen indicates a strong signal with high data quality.

(2) I am still seeing some sensor signals in the -85 to -95 db range. This implies that the MB Pro is continuing to pick up some signals direct from the Vantage Pro2 Plus, despite that direct transmission reception route being removed from the MB Pro. Yet if the MB gets that direct signal, then the console must too - and so the console ought to be re-transmitting it in the stronger -30 to -50 db range. This seems a paradox.

I attach some recent raw sensor data, which is particularly bad. Note no UV signal for 2 hours and no solar for 6 hours. These are the ones that are most likely to be missed - and which also report least frequently (every minute, but every 5 minutes when dark). Most of the signals are in the -30 to -50 db range, so are being re-transmitted from the console, although solar at -91db would seem to be direct from the weather station. Incidentally, the indoor temperature, 0 Indoor (assuming it is from the console, with 9 System #9 being from MB), is 16.5 C higher than what the console is displaying.

I will change to -85 db now and see how that goes. I note the comments about a better antenna at the MB end and a repeater. It may come to that but I would like to exhaust other options first. My thinking at the moment is that it is a marginal signal issue, while the console diagnostic screen is reporting on any sensor signal available and is not seeing the bigger picture. I might message Davis for clarification on the latter.
sensor_data.PNG
sensor_data.PNG (38.55 KiB) Viewed 317 times

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

Did you change settings to "via console" instead of "directly"? This is needed to make retransmitted packets received reliable. Going to -70 db is also an option here to further avoid noise impacts. Signal coming in is very strong.

VashtaNerada
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by VashtaNerada »

Hi, yes, I changed settings to “via console”.

After only 12 hours of data on the new setting (having changed sensitivity from -95 db to -85 db), I am confident that the issue is resolved. I am now seeing data from all sensors every few seconds/tens of seconds, the weak signals are absent and the strong ones have become even stronger (now typically -25 db to -35 db, see image). Graph lines on Weather Underground are unbroken.

So, in summary, as I understand it:
The signal for MB Pro was marginal, resulting in a lot of noise and data corruption and therefore rejection. The console received a stronger signal, so that was set to retransmit, the MB Pro was set to pick that data stream and the sensitivity was changed from -95 db to -85 db to cut out noise. This resulted in a strong and clear signal, with data from all sensors now being picked up every few seconds/tens of seconds.

Data now being received loud and clear, I’m happy, thank you very much!!
sensor_data2.PNG
sensor_data2.PNG (38.19 KiB) Viewed 300 times

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

The 34% at the Indoor sensor tells you how many received RF packets were good (here about just 1/3 passed the CRC check). As signal is really strong (presumably MB PRO very close to the retransmitting console) I would recommend to go to -70db which will reduce bad packets and by that improve stability of data.

VashtaNerada
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by VashtaNerada »

Hi, thanks for the additional suggestion and it’s useful to know that the percentage value on the indoor sensor is how many RF packets were good/passed the CRC check. I left it for a couple of days before making any adjustment to see how representative that 34% figure was. It turns out it was particularly low, typically I was seeing 60-80%.

I then changed the sensitivity to -70 db as you suggested and over the past few days I have been seeing typically 75-95% and even the occasional 100%. Data continue to come in every few seconds at typically -30 to -35 db. I’m very happy with those numbers - thanks again!