Meteobridge Pro not seeing ISS or Vantage Console. **solved**

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO, NANO SD and Raspberry Pi units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

wdg
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Meteobridge Pro not seeing ISS or Vantage Console. **solved**

Post by wdg »

I just received my red Meteobridge Pro and have been setting it up today. At first I setup the Primary Station to receive RF data directly on Transmitter #1 (ISS). Never got a signal. Then I tried to receive RF data via console on Transmitter 2 which is the consoles retransmit ID. Still nothing.

On the Meteobridge Pro itself, the red light is solid, yellow light blinks, but there is no orange light.

Any idea what is going on?
Attachments
meteobridge.jpg
meteobridge.jpg (126.88 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge Pro not seeing ISS or Vantage Console

Post by Mattk »

What's the distance between the MBPro and Console? Try changing the Sensitivity to around -70db

wdg
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by wdg »

After about 15 minutes it did start to pickup the data, but I moved the Meteobridge Pro about 10 feet from the Vantage console. So that's great news...

Now I want to move the Meteobridge Pro to my network closet which is about 30-40 feet from the console. After about 5 minutes since re-powering I still do not see any data. How long does it usually take to acquire a signal?

BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Go back to receiving data directly from your ISS and lower the sensitivity from 90 dB trying the various levels. When you find a level that works well then you can increase the level by 10 db. You are probably picking up too much noise.

wdg
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by wdg »

I'm getting the readings from the console just fine now which is good news. Is there any difference from receiving the data from the actual transmitters rather than the console? I have the console plugged in so if we lost power here the Meteobridge Pro would lose power as well.

BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Here are the comments from the station settings page of the Wiki
“ Meteostick and Red Cap Meteobridge PRO
Meteostick needs selection of a RF band to work with. Please select the setting that matches your geography. In addition you also have to define an RF sensitivity. Please make sure that that is about 10db more sensitive than signal level from incoming data. When you see data coming in on "Live Data" tab with -70db for example, then -80db is a good sensitivity level. Increasing sensitivity of the receiver too much will collect tons of RF noise which will disturb picking up valid data significantly. For normal Davis operation "direct" bandwidth setting is best. If you want to work with signals retransmitted from your Vantage console, please switch to "via console" to limit dropped packets.“
You can see that for normal operation the direct RF setting is best.

joder
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by joder »

wdg wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:34 pm
I just received my red Meteobridge Pro and have been setting it up today. At first I setup the Primary Station to receive RF data directly on Transmitter #1 (ISS). Never got a signal. Then I tried to receive RF data via console on Transmitter 2 which is the consoles retransmit ID. Still nothing.

On the Meteobridge Pro itself, the red light is solid, yellow light blinks, but there is no orange light.

Any idea what is going on?
I'm having the exact same issue as you. I've been trying everything I can all night to no avail.

The Vantage Pro 2 console has no problem getting data from the ISS.

Edit: looks like the sensitivity was the trick. -90 was too high.