Meteobridge to Davis WeatherLink 2.0 Setup Issues

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

Doublell
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteobridge to Davis WeatherLink 2.0 Setup Issues

Post by Doublell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 am

We have a Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless with a USB Data Logger connected to a USB hub then to a Meteobridge and then LAN to the internet.
We can access and download data wirelessly to Weatherlink Software on our Laptop.
We can access data feed through Wunderground/WunderStation.
We can access the routers relevant settings thru their IP Addresses.
We have a previously set up account (old data on Weatherlink Mobile) and new subscription thru Weatherlink 2.0 but cannot get the PWS data to show up on the Davis site.
I have tried various settings to access the data thru Weatherlink 2.0 but to no avail.
Can anyone help with settings I should be looking for that prevent data getting thru?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge to Davis WeatherLink 2.0 Setup Issues

Post by admin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 pm

The USB data logger from Davis is not able to send data by itself to the Davis Network (like the IP data logger does). As the Davis network is proprietary Meteobridge cannot feed data to there. Davis would not like that, they want you to use their stuff exclusively.

But this brings up an interesting question. Are there non-Davis PC programs out there, which upload to the Davis network?

Doublell
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Doublell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Interesting, that’s not what DAVIS Australia (who sold us the Meteobridge) advised during the week. They said that all the info & settings were on this forum. After trying a number of setting & thoughts from the forum to no avail I was starting to think your way.
It’s strange thou that WeatherLink 2.0 has identified the USB’s Data Logger Device ID & Pin but no data shows.

Your question is worth some thinking and research. Something to ponder.

Thanks

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm

I am not that familiar with the Davis software. Is Weatherlink 2.0 a PC program? I thought it is the name of the Davis cloud service.

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm
I am not that familiar with the Davis software. Is Weatherlink 2.0 a PC program? I thought it is the name of the Davis cloud service.
weatherlink.com (WLC for short) is the website where WLIP loggers automatically upload their weatherdata to.
The weatherlink program (WLfW for windows and WLfM for a Mac) could have a paid subscription to upload there also.

The old WLC site is now upgraded for new users to WLC-v2 , the uploads are now "free" and one can have a 4$/month subscription to see graphs a.s.o. More or less a superset of weathercloud.nt

How does it works for USB-0loggers:
First you get your DID and key to upload to WLCv2 at the WLC site.

You start your WLfW and set the connection as serial!
You enter the DID and key
You set the connection back to IP(Meteobridge) port 22222
Everything works.

If you run into problems, check if you use version 6.0.3 of WLfW and Mac. older versions do not work with WLCv2.

If there are still problems:
disconnect the USB logger from Meteobridge for a few minutes.
Connect it to your PC-USB
Set the weather-station connection to serial, DO NOT USE USB-xpress, it will harm your logger!
Set the WLC settings correctly
Check the top-line of the window as it should tell you is is uploading to WLC
If not, press F12
Then you disconnect the USB logger from the WLfW and connect it to your Meteobridge
Change the settings in WLfW back to IP:22222

Check here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33574.0
Some folks, including me, have done those tests and it works.

Wim

jordan847204
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jordan847204 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Is there a way to do this with the WLfM?

jordan847204
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jordan847204 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:23 pm

wvdkuil wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm
admin wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm
weatherlink.com (WLC for short) is the website where WLIP loggers automatically upload their weatherdata to.
The weatherlink program (WLfW for windows and WLfM for a Mac) could have a paid subscription to upload there also.

The old WLC site is now upgraded for new users to WLC-v2 , the uploads are now "free" and one can have a 4$/month subscription to see graphs a.s.o. More or less a superset of weathercloud.nt

How does it works for USB-0loggers:
First you get your DID and key to upload to WLCv2 at the WLC site.

You start your WLfW and set the connection as serial!
You enter the DID and key
You set the connection back to IP(Meteobridge) port 22222
Everything works.

If you run into problems, check if you use version 6.0.3 of WLfW and Mac. older versions do not work with WLCv2.

If there are still problems:
disconnect the USB logger from Meteobridge for a few minutes.
Connect it to your PC-USB
Set the weather-station connection to serial, DO NOT USE USB-xpress, it will harm your logger!
Set the WLC settings correctly
Check the top-line of the window as it should tell you is is uploading to WLC
If not, press F12
Then you disconnect the USB logger from the WLfW and connect it to your Meteobridge
Change the settings in WLfW back to IP:22222

Check here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33574.0
Some folks, including me, have done those tests and it works.

Wim

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:05 pm

jordan847204 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:23 pm
It seems so, this is the discussion at https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33262.0
There is also a blog post, http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/weathe ... om-2-0.htm
Users of Weatherlink for Windows/Mac and new WeatherlinkIP users should be able to register a Basic level account immediately and should also be able to trial the Pro level immediately and for the duration of the 30-day trial period.

Herbaldew
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Herbaldew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm

My experience setting up WL 2.0:

I have Meteobridge running on a DIR-505.

I went to weatherlink.com and clicked the "Sign up for free" button and regsitered, then "add device" button and followed the prompts. One of the first steps was to start WeatherLink on my PC (connected to the console via the MB-TCP/IP). I did so and completed the setup process and was provided with a device ID and key. I entered that data into WeatherLink and all worked perfectly.
admin wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 pm
But this brings up an interesting question. Are there non-Davis PC programs out there, which upload to the Davis network?
Not aware of any software but there is a newly released piece of hardware that is uploading to WL (for now anyway) so it is possible (again, for now anyway).

I like WL 2.0 and would love to have it added to Meteobridge. If the setup required me to enter my device ID and key provided during registration, that would verify to Davis that I had already purchased everything from them that is required to use WL 2.0. They shouldn't care at that point how I was uploading given they had already sold be everything needed to do it with their stuff. I say "They shouldn't care" but they may care. If their goal in making WL 2.0 free was to make the network as large as possible, again they shouldn't care how data is uploaded.