HOWTO: Run the Meteohub image on the Pi 3B+: Meteohub Frankenkernel edition

all about Meteohub on the new Raspberry PI platform

Moderator: Mattk

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: HOWTO: Run the Meteohub image on the Pi 3B+: Meteohub Frankenkernel edition

Post by BigAlT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 am

Because of the lack of support for any RPI newer than the 3B and the necessity of using SLC micro SD cards in the RPI and SLC USB thumb drives for data storage for reliable long term operation, I switched from my Meteohub RPI to both a Meteobridge Nano SD in my Vantage Pro2 and a WiFi Logger in my Vantage Vue. Both replace the Davis USB Data Logger and connect directly to your router via WiFi. Both work great. The Nano SD has more capabilities than the WiFi Logger but does cost substantially more. Both upload data to most of the weather services. Firmware upgrades to the WiFi Logger are unlimited while the Nano SD will require a new subscription after 2 years ( the price has not been announced). The Nano SD has 1 or 2 GB of on board memory in an SLC micro SD card for historical data storage.

Ag2000CO
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Ag2000CO » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 am

And maybe Boris will make as very happy pulling out a Meteohub version that runs natively on Pi3 B Plus....
If your going to ask why not the Raspberry Pi 4 B?

Which my give a clue. Developing/maintaining software for someone else's changing OS and hardware takes a lower priority when you have your own established HW & SW base that always requires improvement.

Would be nice. But just say'n
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

rainrainrain
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by rainrainrain » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:46 am

I've been looking at switching to WeeWX, runs on any Unix system - I'm planning to use an ODroid N2 or XU4, much better hardware than a Pi and with eMMC storage if you're worried about data safety - and supports the Meteostick which is needed to get data off Davis sensors. Currently my Frankenkernel Pi setup is working OK, but I can never update or upgrade it, and if anything ever goes south I need a plan B to keep going.

HansR
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by HansR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am

Yes, @rainrainrain, I see what you're doing. And I think you're right.
Nice choices those WeeWx with Odroid. I will look into that one as well as porting from Cumulus is possible and the eMMC seems a safer option.
Still, I do not understand the difficulty of moving meteohub to RPi upgrades. That points to bad design.
Best,
Running a Davis Vantage PRO 2+. Meteohub does not work, and I have no response in the forum.
Returned to Cumulus[MX] and Saratoga scripts.
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl/