MR3020 stopped uploading to WU; version and/or license key issue?

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

rehatx
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

MR3020 stopped uploading to WU; version and/or license key issue?

Post by rehatx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Just finished debugging why uploads to weather underground stopped five days ago (also date of a recent meteobridge update - may or may not be related). I did look through the forum and didn't see this answered.

Bought a meteobridge from Ambient Weather some years back (TP-Link TL-MR3020), been running it without problems with a Davis Vantage Vue.

When I tried to login, got the attached login screen (defaulting to root user), which was not the login screen I was used to. When I attempted to login as meteobridge user with my password, got the attached error message (The CGI process did not produce any response).

Eventually wound up doing a reset to factory defaults and reprogramming. There is now an error message that the license (Access to new releases) has expired since 2015-03-28. License key when I bought this was "ambientweather-00084," but system now says that is not a valid license key. Ambient Weather documentation conveniently didn't mention this was not a lifetime key.

I had the meteobridge set to "get newest on boot," but I've now changed that to "stick to version 3.2," and re-entered all the other info. Updates have resumed to weather underground. I am not able to change the password from the default.

A few questions:

1) Does this sound like the meteobridge updated to a new version that wouldn't work correctly without a currently valid key? It isn't clear to me if the factory default reset failed to keep the key, or if the system had already recognized it as not currently valid.

2) Is there some way to change the password in 3.2 now that I've reverted? Leaving default passwords in place is not my normal practice.

3) Is there someway to have "get newest on boot" to not proceed if the license key isn't valid?

4) Is there someway to allow a login even if the update happens and the key isn't valid? It lengthened the debug and recovery time to have to try differing logins and then eventually have to do a factory reset.

5) How long were the licenses from Ambient Weather good for?

Thanks,
Attachments
meteobridge error screen.JPG
meteobridge error screen.JPG (35.39 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: MR3020 stopped uploading to WU; version and/or license key issue?

Post by Mattk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 pm

See similar thread
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12275&p=23355&hilit=expired#p23355

With regard

1) Yes being set to newest it would have tried to install/run the newest version
2) Yes see the security section on the System page
3) Yes see the Maintenance window on System page, set the Version Control to stick to 3.2 if you do not renew the License (Upgrade)
4) Have not experienced this one
5) Do you have an Ambient license as well to upload to Ambient's server? Meteobridge license has nothing to do with Ambient

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: MR3020 stopped uploading to WU; version and/or license key issue?

Post by admin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 pm

rehatx wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 pm
A few questions:

1) Does this sound like the meteobridge updated to a new version that wouldn't work correctly without a currently valid key? It isn't clear to me if the factory default reset failed to keep the key, or if the system had already recognized it as not currently valid.

2) Is there some way to change the password in 3.2 now that I've reverted? Leaving default passwords in place is not my normal practice.

3) Is there someway to have "get newest on boot" to not proceed if the license key isn't valid?

4) Is there someway to allow a login even if the update happens and the key isn't valid? It lengthened the debug and recovery time to have to try differing logins and then eventually have to do a factory reset.

5) How long were the licenses from Ambient Weather good for?
ad 1: Limit is just on updates. You are stuck to version 3.2 that is a stable well operating version. License is not affected by factory resets

ad 2: yes, can do on "system" tab.

ad 3: just let it on newest. You will get newest available for you, which is the archived 3.2 version

ad 4: login is always possible and your license does no invalidate. You are just cut off from newer versions

ad 5: endless, as all the other Meteobridge licenses