Meteobridge NANO SD - a NANO with local storage

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Meteobridge NANO SD - a NANO with local storage

Post by admin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm

As you have discovered in the "NANO - Easter Egg" posting the NANO can be equipped with an SD card and that gives some very interesting new options which might in many aspects remind you to a Meteobridge PRO. You will find more details here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... ge_NANO_SD

Feel free to place your questions or impressions in this thread.

weatherist34
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Meteobridge NANO SD - a NANO with local storage

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 am

Time to buy a decent SDCard what more could an enthusiast want .. So is there any chance of damaging the Nano when inserting card and is that just normal sticky(sellotape) tape you used to hold to card.probably a bit overkill but just realized I have an 8GB microSD sitting in the draw however the Firmware bricking risk makes me hesitant.. but nonetheless massive step forward and amazing versatile addition to any Davis hardware owner ..

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 am

In regard microSD Cards/storage etc and the mention of 8GB consumer type stuff the following is very important in regard selection and use of microSD cards

Choice of microSD Card

To avoid lots of system fails caused by worn out consumer microSD cards we restrict microSD cards that can be used in the NANO to the 1GB and 2GB industrial SLC cards from swissbit. They are world-wide available from Mouser and other electronic distributors. We decided to enforce use of these high endurance cards to avoid having tons of unnecessary support requests and not to harm the reputation of the NANO SD by failed cards. Please trust in our experience with flash storage issues that there is simply no reasonable way to avoid buying of high-price, high-endurance SLC storage. These are the currently supported microSD cards:
SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-221-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°)
SFSD2048N1BM1MT-I-ME-211-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°)
SFSD2048N1BM1MT-E-ME-211-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -25°)

weatherist34
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 am

Mattk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 am
In regard microSD Cards/storage etc and the mention of 8GB consumer type stuff the following is very important in regard selection and use of microSD cards

Choice of microSD Card

To avoid lots of system fails caused by worn out consumer microSD cards we restrict microSD cards that can be used in the NANO to the 1GB and 2GB industrial SLC cards from swissbit. They are world-wide available from Mouser and other electronic distributors. We decided to enforce use of these high endurance cards to avoid having tons of unnecessary support requests and not to harm the reputation of the NANO SD by failed cards. Please trust in our experience with flash storage issues that there is simply no reasonable way to avoid buying of high-price, high-endurance SLC storage. These are the currently supported microSD cards:
SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-221-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°)
SFSD2048N1BM1MT-I-ME-211-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°)
SFSD2048N1BM1MT-E-ME-211-STD (microSD Card, S-450u, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -25°)
noted but here in turkey the choice is limited may be $50 or euros but here in turkey add another 50$ on top local tax + import duty .. ill try the 8gb it a sandisk ultra still in the packet,probably best brand we can buy here off the shelf.

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 am

Are you able to order stuff on line out of Mouser (Hong Kong) or Digi-Key in the US?

weatherist34
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 am

hi yes i can order from anywhere thats not the issue its local customs , if i chose dhl,fedex,ups as delivery it makes no difference as customs is not a part of these companies and customs is a separate entity.only when its cleared and charges are paid is it forwarded on to the delivery company . established delivery companies as above only provide necessary paperwork to speed up the clearance process if provided prior to shipment by the sender.they dont handle the actual clearance.

i will try the 8gb and see how it goes particularly interested implementing this feature of graph export etc into the template i design and make a dedicated Nano version .. time will tell but i have to be in a brave mood the word bricking makes me hesitant.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Inserting the microSD card does not give any reason to damage anything, when done as shown in the video.

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 pm

I assume that when using an existing console+nano
1. one has to power off the console
2. remove the nano
3. insert microSd card in the nano
4. reinsert the nano in the console
5. power on the console.

6.1 The already installed Meteobridge software will then detect the SD card
6.2 and change itself to a Nano-SD

Is that the correct procedure?
Is there no difference between Nano and Nano-SD firmware as there is no new release after 3.8 released November 6, 2018

My Dutch supplier will not sell or distribute the SD cards, so I have to wait for delivery by Mouser.

Wim

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Wim, your steps are right. Detailed explanation on the steps is given in this PDF:
http://download.meteobridge.com/files/h ... ano-sd.pdf

How to fiddle a paper strap to the SD card can of course be done in may ways ;-)

NANO needs to be on firmware 1.3. If you boot a NANO having a microSD card inserted firmware version will be checked and if it needs an update an firmware-update button on "System" tab will allow you to do so.
Apart from that nothing needs to be done, it will simply boot as a NANO SD.

weatherist34
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm

ok no i wont try ,boris just confirmed it must be one of those specific cards mentioned so please note this any spare microsd card you have wont work unless it is one of those specified branded industrial versions.

nonetheless i will set it up when one arrives id already made the paper insert :D just wasnt brave enough for the insert and firmware update my nano currently has version 1.0 rom firmware not to be confused with public release software version release boris regularly releases..

one question if you remove the microsd card for any reason i trust it all works a per original Nano ?

anyway i think its an awesome addition for the davis owner and weather enthusiast.. brian

prestwickwx
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by prestwickwx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Boris,

This sounds like a great addition. I will order a card.

Chuck

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

weatherist34 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm
one question if you remove the microsd card for any reason i trust it all works a per original Nano ?
Yes, when it is booted without a microSD card it will show up again as a regular NANO.

bardek
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by bardek » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi, could you please tell us real reason behind that microSD has to be this exact specification? is it heat it has to handle? And finally, is it recommendation for such narrow choice of cards or MUST? No other brand would work?

Regards,

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 pm

I think this already has been explained at various places, but let's go for another round...

It needs to be an industrial SLC type card as only those have needed write endurance. You might google the differences between SLC, pSLC, MLC, TLC, QLC to understand how much they differ in supported write cycles. Using non-SLC storage will for sure provoke a card failure after a few weeks, months, quarters or years. It needs to be industrial to make sure there is a working global wear-leveling algorithm in place. I am dealing with these issues for over 10 years (starting with Meteohub on NSLU2 with USB sticks, Meteohub on RPI, where each week I get few requests from users with crashed non-SLC cards asking for help, and we had the troubled USB sticks in with Meteobridge PRO in the first year after initial launch).

I have ordered other microSD SLC cards from ATP, Panasonic, etc and will add them to the list of supported cards, when I have them.

Tone in your posting sounds like you suspect some evil going on here. It is not. If you want to suggest a SLC card to be added, just speak out.

bardek
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by bardek » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:16 pm

thank you for deep explanation, so write cycles is the main reason and only using SLC cards is your recommendation.
Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to deprecate quality of Nano and its storage , I'm happy with it and its new functionality.

Using non-SLC cards isn't covered by your support and it is clear, but its possible for some careless or less demanding users to use such. Right?

Hopefully this list of supported cards will grow as you test them. For now getting SLC card is kinda hassle, I mean you cannot get it in common store. You have to find it in specialized stores (listed 3 cards hardly to find recommended 2GB does not exists), even after that no one will guarantee that it will be reliable for years as you suggest.

BR