WXSIM - Meteobridge Pro

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

WXSIM - Meteobridge Pro

Post by hrvistaweather » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am

I am contemplating purchasing a Meteobridge Pro with a new Davis Vantage Pro station here in Tasmania and wondered if anyone has used same with wxsim.
kind regards,
Tony

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: WXSIM - Meteobridge Pro

Post by ConligWX » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi Tony

I dont use WxSim, but what does WxSim require from any Weather software, let alone Meteobridge? A text file with values?

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by hrvistaweather » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi Simon,
Thanks for reply, I sent 2 messages via contact form on your site over last few weeks. maybe that's not working.
Currently wxsim uses my cumulusMX log files "Apr19log.txt" which in my case are 1 minute resolution.
wxsim only runs on windows so equivalent type log would need to be transferred to lan based pc every few hours.

I did find one UK site https://westerhopewx.co.uk/wxmbgraphs.php which seems to use wxsim and CumulusMX and Meateobridge though had no luck receiving reply after sending a few emails. He is also using some of my old soil scripts and images etc.
kind regards,
Tony

thunderstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by thunderstorm » Wed May 01, 2019 2:58 pm

It would be great if both authors could agree on a format that wxsim could use to import/read the data (current data & historical one for calibration). I already asked if Tom could support some CSV in https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php?topic=63373, but haven't heard anything since then.
AFAICT wxsim support reading logs from cumulus, weather-display, weatherlink & virtual weather station

kocher
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by kocher » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am

Regards Tony

I just released a Meteobridge Pro, I also use WxSim for the forecasts.
If you want some information or I can help you with something, you just have to tell me.

regards

Javier

thunderstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by thunderstorm » Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 am

I think for all user that are looking into "connecting" meteobridge with wxsim it would be helpful if you could describe your setup, esp. how you get the data from meteobridge into wxsim (wxsimate, autolearn,)

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by hrvistaweather » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 am

Hi Javier,
I hope you have been well. long time between contact.
oh brilliant, finally someone who has knowledge of this, yes as stated I do not yet have a Meteobridge Pro, though thinking of getting one and not sure if I only use that will I be able to supply required data to wxsim in correct format and over my Lan being that wxsim runs on local Lan Windows PC.
Any information, advice from you would be greatly appreciated my friend in order for me to decide whether to purchase Meteobridge Pro or not.
Kind regards,

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am

I'm sure the layout of the log file that WxSim read can be replicated in MB via a Templates event, then another event can be scheduled to ftp that file to wherever you need it to be placed for WxSim to read it.

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by hrvistaweather » Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am

Hi Simon,
Thanks for that, so correct me if wrong, I could then setup on Win 10 where wxsim is located (say a filezilla server for ftp) then point the Meteobridge Pro to ftp to my required setup folders etc. That's assuming Meteobridge Pro resides and is visible within the local Lan.
Sorry for all my questions, though having spent ages trawling through info regards this on official Meteobridge pro info, I struggle to find it.
Kind regards,

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Fri May 03, 2019 2:31 pm

yes that sounds very feasible. I have plenty of events that ftp files/data to my webserver(nas) so I dont see why you couldnt do the same for a Windows PC.

as to the actual data. you create a template with template values which then are processed by MB on an event which will then create data in a file for you.

how/what does CumulusMX process as regards to webtags for WxSim and how often? Just thinking in advance of what would be required for MB to create the same data.

https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Webtags

https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Templates

if all users of WxSim use the same Template values for processing, perhaps Boris could have a default Template for WxSim in the Default Templates folder.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am

I am happy to include such a template as default in the distribution. Please let me know, when there is one that does fit all (or most) needs.

stewart45
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by stewart45 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Is there any update on this regards a default template for wxsim from meteobridge pro, would be very interested, would save having to run a separate copy of WD

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by hrvistaweather » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi,
Sadly no. I have messaged Tom (WxSim) twice and had no response at all. I think he may be on leave.
I also messaged Javier who posted earlier in this thread stating he had done it, but also had no response.
I appreciate admin's offer to create a default template for WxSim, however it's a bit hard without Tom supplying a desired input for WxSim.
Kind Regards,
Tony

thunderstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by thunderstorm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:51 am

I know that Tom reached out to Boris to discuss whether it's feasible to use Cumulus or WD logs or if they have to come up with something else. But that's the last thing I heard from them.

Bernd

hrvistaweather
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by hrvistaweather » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:51 am

Hi Tom replied to me yesterday with the following :
Hi Tony,

My question had been whether it was a problem to duplicate WD or Cumulus log files. I corresponded with Boris (of meteobridge) on this a few weeks ago, and did not think so, but I was never sure. That's the most straightforward approach, as it can use existing coding. If it's a problem, I can write new code for that. The only reason would be to avoid some kind of infringement on somebody's file format (meaning simply the names of columns and what's in them). In any case, I did send (on May 8th) Boris examples of both WD and Cumulus log files, asking if he could duplicate either of them, or at least provide the same types of data, and I haven't heard back from him. I'll send him a reminder.

Thanks!

Tom
To my knowledge the only main difference between the WD and Cumulus data logs is that:
1: WD contains more Precip Data (which is not used by WxSim).
2: Cumulus does not contain Soil Data (which could be used by WxSim Pro).

Kind Regards,
Tony