Uploading to Ambient?

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

superduty
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Uploading to Ambient?

Post by superduty »

I saw on the Ambient page the following:

"Staring October 24, 2019, you can now search and share your weather station data with the public.

Anyone can create an account, even if you do not own a weather station, and send email and text alerts from your favorites."

I get an error that my Ambient network is expired. Not sure what I am doing wrong. MB asks for MAC address and looks like it autofills the MAC address and I can't change it.

I am able to log in at the Ambient page with a username and pswd.

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Uploading to Ambient?

Post by galfert »

Meteobridge can only upload to Ambientweather.net if you have purchased the Ambientweather.net license ($160). Or if you have an Ambient version of the Meteobridge that is called WeatherBridge then that already comes with the required license.

Ambient"s announcement has nothing to do with you uploading data. The announcement is just saying that anyone can create an account and search and see data from licensed stations.

Bottom line is that Ambientweather.net uploading of weather data is only for licensed stations (their branded hardware or a Meteobridge with added license).
MR3020 v1
GW1000

superduty
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by superduty »

gus,

Thank you for clarifying. I used to have their hub until they cut off service. Unless they offer a free service I don't plan on paying them for anything.

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert »

I'm not following your response as it doesn't make sense. What did you have before that you are calling a hub? Cut off service? To what?

If you have anything from Ambient then it is free to upload to ambientweather.net forever. Ambient has never cut off service to anything. You only have to pay if you want to bring your own Meteobridge into their service upload network.

What brand/model station are you using now? And what exactly did you have before?

EDIT: From your other posts I've learned you have a Davis station. Therefore I'm still confused on what you mean that you had their [Ambient] hub before and that they cut off service? They cut off service to what? Ambient has not cut off service to anyone of their devices. Ambientweather.net license is for ever. There is no renewal.

Maybe you had an Acurite hub before as that is a device that recently had services cut off. But that is Acurite not Ambient, totally different companies. I'm not aware that Ambient ever had anything called a hub. I really have no idea what you could be referring to. Both companies start with the letter A and maybe you confused them?
MR3020 v1
GW1000

briis
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by briis »

I received an email from Ambient Weather this morning, with the below text. I am not native English but the text in bold seems pretty clear to me. I just tried to setup a Station on Ambient Network, and then added the Service to Meteobridge but I also get the EXPIRED message. Unless they don’t mean what they write, could there be a change needed in the upload code?

Ambient Weather Network goes public
Our cloud hosting service at AmbientWeather.net has gone public. Anyone can share their personal weather station data.

You can now search from over 70,000 personal weather stations reporting real-time conditions to AmbientWeather.net. In addition, we have added official NOAA stations, making AmbientWeather.net one of the largest personal and public weather station networks in the world.

Create your account today. No weather station purchase required. View real time conditions and set email and text alerts.

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil »

briis wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:31 am
. . . shortened . . .
Our cloud hosting service at AmbientWeather.net has gone public.
It was a closed network, only open for people who uploaded to the network with an Ambient device or who paid a one-time fee.
Now also people without an uploading weather-station can make an account and browse the available stations
Anyone can share their personal weather station data.
Until 22 October people who uploaded could see their data and share it only to other uploaders.
For example, users could not show their data to their neighbour as long as the neighbour did not upload to Ambient net also.
You can now search from over 70,000 personal weather stations reporting real-time conditions to AmbientWeather.net. In addition, we have added official NOAA stations, making AmbientWeather.net one of the largest personal and public weather station networks in the world.
So anybody with at least an account can see the data.
Create your account today. No weather station purchase required.
Also the neighbour without a weather-station
View real time conditions and set email and text alerts.
Any valid account can now check my station and all other stations and set email alerts based on someone else's uploaded data.

If you want to upload yourself, you either have to buy an Ambient (American frequency) weather-station, not sold to Europe.
Or buy an Ambient branded Meteobridge, which has , for US-customers, more or less the same price as we pay in Europe.
Or pay a one-time fee of 160$.

===
Maintaining a network already cost money, extending and all new developments are very costly also.
Ambient recoups that investment from the sale of their products.

Lets compare Ambient and a few other weather-nets.

Ambient is not that different from WeatherLink.com , which is also a closed user/visitor group.
In the past one could only upload using a Davis IP-logger, but they opened up (the can of worms) when they let their WeatherLink program upload also. They recoup their money by downsizing the free part and asking money for the more interesting parts.

Ambient is very different from WeatherUnderground.
That has been open to everybody from the start, but nowadays with very much advertisements for the not-uploaders.
So the neighbour without a weather-station had to search through all advertisements, or use a paid-for no-ad fee.

Another network is ecowitt.net which is more comparable to Ambient.
Also for customers only. Although the uploading device is less costly. But it supports only fine-offset stations (of different brands)

Some other weather-nets, f.i. weathercloud, are free to upload. But again, they ask money for more frequent uploads and the more interesting facilities.

Wim
Support for Leuven-Template & Scripts at https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support for the PWS_Dashboard (HWS-template) https://pwsdashboard.com/

briis
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by briis »

Thanks for clarifying Wim.
I still think the email is misleading, but that is how it is.
/B

ToTo
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by ToTo »

Thanks for the great summary 8)