LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Moderator: Mattk

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Post by oporo »

Hi.

I bought a Meteosheeva ten years ago, and it has run ok until yesterday.

Now, the LEDs blink and I don't know what is the problem.

i send meteorological data to meteoclimatic, awekas and wunderground (with meteohub).

If I want to change meteosheeva with another micro-pc, what do you recommend?

Best regards.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Post by BigAlT »

I’d recommend you purchase a D-Link DIR 505 and load the Meteobridge firmware using the instructions on the forum. It’s the smallest unit and doesn’t need a separate power supply since it plugs directly into an outlet. You will need to purchase a new license as you cannot transfer your old license to a different platform. To get firmware/software updates you need to pay a renewal fee every two years but Boris is continually updating and improving the software.
The D-Link DIR-505 is no longer in production but can often be found on the internet auction site at very reasonable cost.

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by oporo »

I have a Davis Vantage Vue and I am going to buy Meteobridge Nano (or Meteobridge Nano SD).

Do you think it's a good choice?

Thanks.

gust
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by gust »

Same led blinking problem at the cable socket connection after 9 years of good and continuous service on my Sheevaplug at the cable socket connection.
Station data is not updated any more.
I tried unplugging and plugging again.
I opened it, checked battery voltage (2.988 V) and did not see anything alarming.
4 Go SD card could be full? But I am denied the plug access to check the card.
The station is Vantage PRO2.
http://www.sevestre.net/Plug/indexSevestreFontanes.html

What can I do please? Any suggestions?

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

My sheevaplug died 4 years ago after running for 4 years. I replaced the SD card ( they have a limited lifespan due to the sheevaplug continuously writing data to the SD card which are not usually made with SLC memory ( which lasts much longer ) except for a few industrial SD cards. After a certain point the standard SD card will no longer write data without errors and this may cause the sheevaplug to crash. To find out if this is the problem, you would have to create a new bootable SD card by writing the downloadable Meteohub image to the new SD card as you did initially. Read the instructions on the Meteohub Wiki.
My new SD card only lasted a year so I switched to a Raspberry PI but the micro SD cards the Raspberry Pi uses also fail after some time and Boris is no longer supporting the Meteohub Platform. I eventually switched to a Meteobridge Nano SD and am very happy.

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by oporo »

Ok.

Thanks for your help. I have decided to buy a Meteobridge Nano SD.

Do you recommend buying it in a specific place?

Thank you very much.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Check all of the online stores shown in the Wiki page & buy from the one with the lowest price including shipping ( I found the Meteobridge Shop to have the best price when I purchased ).Remember the Nano SD includes an SLC memory SD card already installed. The nano only accepts certain manufacturers SLC SD cards. The Nano ( not the SD model ) is exactly the same as the Nano SD but doesn’t come with an SD card so you can buy one of the supported SD cards ( listed on the WiKi page ) online and install it yourself using the instructions on the WiKi and save some $ if that interests you.
Good luck & enjoy. Boris has great customer service should you have any hardware problems.

gust
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by gust »

Thank you BigAIT. All this seems very familiar to you. It is not the same for me...
So to find out if my SD card is down, I have to initiate a new SD card with the Meteobub Wiki help.
Problem is that I have no idea how to do it and I have no idea how to handle the Meteohub Wiki either...
If I can be explained, may be I can understand.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Here is the Meteohub wiki webpage link. You need to follow the steps for downloading & installing the Meteohub image on the new SLC SD Card.
https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_SheevaPlug
If you’re not computer literate enough to follow the instructions, it’s best to purchase a Weatherbridge Pro which is already set up and you don’t need to format anything or install firmware or software.

gust
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by gust »

I went to have a look at https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_SheevaPlug.
Neither 4GB SLC SD card Transcend TS4GSDHC150 nor Integral Endurance 4GB are available any more from Amazon.
Is there any other suitable SD card please?
If I cannot work out this SD card set up, I will look further into this Weatherbridge Pro.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

There are several Used 4GB SLC SD Cards for sale on EBay. How good they are or how much life is remaining is unknown. There are a few new 4GB SLC SD cards also available but they are very costly and your money would be better spent on getting a weatherbridge. If you’re comfortable with downloading the various versions of weatherbridge firmware and updating one of the weatherbridge compatible routers that can be purchased either new or used, that is the most inexpensive way. Otherwise you can purchase a Weatherbridge or Weatherbridge Pro from one of the sellers listed on the Meteobridge WiKi Page https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... _to_Buy%3F
Those are the only compatible hardware that support non Davis weather stations of which I am aware.
If you have a Davis weather station you could also use the Weatherbridge Nano, Nano SD or the WiFi Logger ( all of which install inside the Davis Console ).

gust
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by gust »

Before investing in new equipment I am going to make a test with a new cheap 4 GB SD card in my 003-SP1001 Sheevaplug.
Can anyone please tell me how to set it up? How to set up Debian and whatever else is necessary on it.

This operation is meant to test if the actual SD card on the Sheevaplug is faulty or if it is the Sheevaplug itself.
It does not matter if old data is lost.

I am not much computer literate, but I can use command line on my Linux box to do the SD card set up.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Follow the instructions on the wiki page shown in my earlier post. You do not need to do the boot modification on your Sheeva Plug as it’s already been done. Download the Meteohub image as described, unrar it and copy it to the SD card as instructed. ( see the link in my earlier post ).
Even if it turns out the problem is in the SD card rather than your Sheva Plug, because there are no new 4GB SLC memory SD cards available at any reasonable cost it seems that your most economical alternative would be to purchase one of the Weatherbridge routers listed on the hardware page ( very inexpensive on EBay ), download & install the firmware and pay the Weatherbridge licensing fee.
Good luck.

gust
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by gust »

Time has passed and despite, or because of the covid, my weather page is still not restored.
I am going to use a Raspberry Pi 3 which I had to replace the Sheeva Plug.

So my problem now is the SD card.
What to put on it and how to do it?
It should do several things.
- To make the Raspberry work (Sheeva Plug used Debian OS)
- To generate the final HTML weather page, preferably the same as before
- To comply with Meteohub license
- To keep data records from the weather station VantagePro2
- To forward (ftp) HTML page to the internet server

I do have the old SD card and I can copy/paste the right directories on the new one, but which ones?

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

Follow the instructions on the Meteohub WiKi page https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_RPI. Download the latest version image v5.0s and use the recommended software to copy the image to your micro SD card. Be aware that the RPi version of Meteohub suffers the same issues as your Sheeva Plug with micro SD card failures due to the Meteohub program continuously writing data to the micro SD card ( Regular micro SD Cards do not last for a long time when written to continuously ) and 4GB SLC micro SD cards ( which last much longer ) are available but very expensive.
After successfully booting your RPi Meteohub you can transfer your license from your SheevaPlug to the RPi. Boot up your SheevaPlug and go to the System Information Psge. Copy and paste both the System ID and Activation Code to a safe place which you can copy and paste from when you do the transfer.
Then boot up the RPi and copy down it’s System ID from it’s System Information Page and also copy it to a safe place. Make sure you identify which meteohub each item belongs to.
Then go to the meteohub activation Transfer Tool Webpage https://wiki.meteohub.de/Transfer and enter the System ID and activation code from your Sheeva Plug and the new System ID from your RPi into the proper boxes. Hit enter and the webpage will give you a new activation code. WARNING- copy the number down on a piece of paper manually before trying to copy and paste it as sometimes copying and pasting the new activation code will not work and will close the window. If that happens your only remedy is to email Boris and supply him the information he needs. When copying the new activation code manually which is many characters long, be careful to use the proper upper or lower case letters.
Enter the new activation code in your RPi on the System Information page and hit enter and your new RPi Meteohub will be activated.
If you have problems with the RPi, I’d recommend switching to a Meteobridge which is created by purchasing one of several mobile WiFi Routers ( available for around $30 on eBay ), downloading a firmware update from the Meteobridge Wiki and uploading it to the router. The downside is you’ll have to purchase a new Meteobridge License and renew it every two years ( at a much lower cost ). The upside is that Boris is continuously upgrading the Meteobridge software to add new features. There have been no new software upgrades to Meteohub since v 5.1b ( available as an update via the update feature of the Meteohub interface ) except v5.1d which is only to change the way to purchase a new license but isn’t yet available for direct download to create a new Meteohub RPi. I don’t believe Boris has any plans to further develop or upgrade the Meteohub RPi platform which is based on Raspbian Jessie, long obsolete.
I’m not sure if the weather data from your Sheeva Plug can be copied to the RPi as I don’t know if they use the same file format.
Good Luck
Last edited by BigAlT on Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.