Meteobridge supports Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 4B

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Meteobridge supports Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 4B

Post by admin »

I am happy to announce that we have finished port of Meteobridge to Raspberry Pi model 3B, 3B+ and 4B.

As micro SD card wear out is a critical issue that is the number 1 root cause for failing Meteohub installations on Raspberry Pi, we decided to enforce use of industrial SLC micro SD cards, like we did with the NANO SD. I know that some will not like that, but please understand that we have to keep avoidable support requests to a minimum. Meteobridge is still on openwrt on the Raspberry Pi. Installing additional non-Meteobridge stuff will be rather limited by that.

From a functional point of view, Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi can store data like the Meteobridge PRO and NANO SD and supports the local dashboards known from the NANO SD.

Licensing is done like with the other Meteobridge platforms. We don't charge an extra for the more powerful Raspberry Pi version and licenses can be swapped between Meteobridge platforms as before. Free updates will end after two years past license date. Being there, you can decide if you purchase another 2 years of updates or stay with the version you have - exactly as with the other Meteobridge licenses.

The Raspberry Pi version is an addition, which might be interesting for users looking for a rather powerful platform and are looking for a platform easy to install. Writing Meteobridge SW onto a micro SD card and to insert this into the Raspberry Pi is much more easy than to setup a TFTP server, which the newer TP-Link router devices require.

Meteobridge PRO and NANO will remain active products, with their unique features. There is no plan to drop them in favour of the Raspberry Pi version.

https://www.meteobridge.com has been updated to explain how to setup Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Meteobridge supports Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 4B

Post by admin »

When you are going to migrate your Meteobridge license from another platform to Raspberry Pi, please keep in mind that your license needs to cover updates including version 5.0 (October 17, 2020). If your update period ends before that you can still migrate the license to Raspberry Pi, but you will also need to purchase an update license on the Raspberry Pi Meteobridge as version 5.0 is beyond your update coverage. If your update period covers October 17, 2020 you are fine anyway.

Migration is done by setting up the Raspberry Pi Meteobridge in trial mode and then sending old and new MAC (as displayed on "System" tab) to "info(at)meteobridge.com". Currently license migrations itself are free.

josecmorales
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by josecmorales »

Wonderfull news! just wait to confirm the MicroSd to use it.
The weather in Guayana, Venezuela
@climaguayana

woolfg
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by woolfg »

Hi

As Raspberry Pi now supports booting from a USB drive can this be used instead ?

Regards

Graham

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

This is not supported.

webcam
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by webcam »

Hello,
am also testing times. Runs very well.
Question:
Can I save the weather data on a USB?
I connected a USB stick, but don't see any in the system.
Greeting
Daniel

Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by 36260 »

This is a great achievement, well done. I've been running Meteohub for years on RaspPI without a glitch. I currently run a NANO SD card, I might consider migrating to RaspPI mainly because there is a wired Ethernet interface.
Davis VP2 + Solar - Nano SD

webcam
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by webcam »

Hello,
today I suddenly see something strange.
The system ran so far without this message.
Greeting
Daniel
Attachments
rpi.jpg
rpi.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

webcam
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by webcam »

This message also comes up with the original RPI card.
Attachments
rpi.jpg
rpi.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

galfert
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by galfert »

Meteobridge software enforces use of industrial SLC micro SD cards. Says so right there in the original post on this thread in the second paragraph.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

webcam
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by webcam »

Which card would you recommend?

BigAlT
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

From the Wiki:

swissbit SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-2A1-STD (microSD Card, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1TO-I-DF-2A1-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
swissbit SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-221-STD (microSD Card, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1MT-I-ME-221-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1MT-E-ME-221-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -25°C - 85°C)
ATP AF2GUDI (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C – 80°C)
Cactus KS2GRIT-803M (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -45°C – 90°C)
Panasonic SMSC02DA1 (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
Apacer MSD02GIDI-T (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash)

Only these listed microSD cards are recognized by the Meteobridge Software as supported microSD cards !!. Any other microSD cards Will Not be recognized by the software as supported even if labeled as Industrial ( which does not necessarily mean it has SLC memory ).

The ATP AF2GUDI is available on eBay for about $20 with shipping ( item # 193697994136 ),
or an even better deal. Five ( 5 ) ATP AF2GUDI microSD cards for $25 including shipping on eBay ( item # 184512207900 ).
Last edited by BigAlT on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

webcam
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by webcam »

Great .... Thanks for the info.

vacation_land
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by vacation_land »

For some reason the Meteobridge RPi 4 firmware is not respecting DNS server information. This holds true for both DHCP assigned and statically assigned DNS servers. This is in contrast to both the TP-Link and Nano-SD Meteobridge versions. I run a local DNS and the RPi version is not working as I would like because it cannot find local resources without hard coding the IP (yes this works but isn't ideal). It seems to force the use of the local host for the DNS server or something else is messing with DNS server selection. Anyone seeing this?

Here is RPi 4 (Meteobridge 5.0 (Nov 8 2020, build 1349), FW 1.2)
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (4).png (9.34 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Here is TP-Link (Meteobridge 5.0 (Nov 8 2020, build 3546), FW 1.3)
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

galfert
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by galfert »

vacation_land wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 pm
For some reason the Meteobridge RPi 4 firmware is not respecting DNS server information. This holds true for both DHCP assigned and statically assigned DNS servers. This is in contrast to both the TP-Link and Nano-SD Meteobridge versions. I run a local DNS and the RPi version is not working as I would like because it cannot find local resources without hard coding the IP (yes this works but isn't ideal). It seems to force the use of the local host for the DNS server or something else is messing with DNS server selection. Anyone seeing this?

Here is RPi 4 (Meteobridge 5.0 (Nov 8 2020, build 1349), FW 1.2)
Screenshot (4).png
Here is TP-Link (Meteobridge 5.0 (Nov 8 2020, build 3546), FW 1.3)
Screenshot (5).png
To force OpenWRT to use the DNS nameservers given by DHCP server then SSH in and enter the following command:
ln -sf /tmp/resolv.conf.auto /etc/resolve.conf

Alternatively you could instead directly override and edit the following file to do a manual entry:
Edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and change nameserver 127.0.0.1 to the address of your DNS server that you want to use.

Don't do both. Do one or the other. The first way I listed tells OpenWRT to use the DHCP given DNS servers and creates a symbolic link to the nameservers acquired via the DHCP server. The second way I listed is a manual edit of file used for DNS nameservers.

Before making changes you can verify (and see) the contents of these files.
cat /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
cat /etc/resolv.conf

You can also make a backup copy of the existing files before making changes.
cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak

You can restore from the backup file you've created after making changes with either method mentioned before:
cp /etc/resolv.conf.bak /etc/resolv.conf
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000