Just upgraded, lost all settings!

This section covers the Meteobridge PRO, NANO SD and Raspberry Pi units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Just upgraded, lost all settings!

Post by ConligWX »

just for your information I was on the dec 22 build on my Nano SD.

rebooted to get a new upgrade, lost the nano altogether, had to setup wifi again. once Nano rebooted, all settings were lost. now restoring from backup config.

shasta_doug
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Just upgraded, lost all settings!

Post by shasta_doug »

My MBpro just had the same thing happen. System automatically upgraded to 5.0 with no prompting from me to reboot. I saw no weather data being reported. Forced the upgrade to 5.1 and still no data.
Rolled back to 4.4 and still no data and settings. All data and settings are lost on the MBPro. No longer reading sensor data on a Davis Vantage Vue ISS.

Help!

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX »

mine was on 5.0 dec 22nd build. went to 5.1 and lost all config.

I always backup config before forcing a reboot. this is not the same a backup of database. you must backup config yourself.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (53.77 KiB) Viewed 515 times

I would love to see an automated task of backing up config to an SMB/FTP area on a daily/monthly basis.

galfert
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by galfert »

You could build an event script to automate the backup of the configuration file to a remote destination or to USB drive. But this file won't change unless you are actively making changes. Seems pointless to automate the backup of a file that doesn't change. Therefore I think it is better to get into the habit of backing up the configuration file before and/or after you make changes to the configuration...I mean if you are in there making changes then save the configuration...how much trouble is that? I do this for all the multitude of networking devices that I manage ...which is extensive as it is my job to manage networks. I automate the backup of data that changes. A configuration file does not change. But either way...have it your way and automate it if you want...the Meteobridge already has everything you need to make that happen.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

shasta_doug
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by shasta_doug »

I found my problem. All is good now.
The update made the database to read from the internal flash.
I use an external USB flash for all the data. I reset the database location to the front flash and reboot. All came back.

Correction: After further review, all historical data is gone. The MBPro is receiving and reporting data, but it has lost all past data.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

shasta_doug wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 pm
I use an external USB flash for all the data. I reset the database location to the front flash and reboot. All came back.

Correction: After further review, all historical data is gone. The MBPro is receiving and reporting data, but it has lost all past data.
It is not recommended to use external USB sticks instead of the internal one. The internal one is an industrial SLC type that can stand the enormous number of writes. External consumer sticks will die after a while as they wear out rather rapidly. I guess your problem has to do with this.

shasta_doug
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by shasta_doug »

admin wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:12 pm
shasta_doug wrote:

It is not recommended to use external USB sticks instead of the internal one. The internal one is an industrial SLC type that can stand the enormous number of writes. External consumer sticks will die after a while as they wear out rather rapidly. I guess your problem has to do with this.
When I switch to using the internal flash, the unit doesn't work. It was a guess to try to use the external flash. My first MB Pro had the internal flash die and was replaced. Could this early unit have had the internal flash die again? I sent you PM with login information if you'd like to check it out.
Thank you

Gyvate
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by Gyvate »

shasta_doug wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:25 pm
admin wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:12 pm
shasta_doug wrote:

When I switch to using the internal flash, the unit doesn't work. It was a guess to try to use the external flash. My first MB Pro had the internal flash die and was replaced. Could this early unit have had the internal flash die again? I sent you PM with login information if you'd like to check it out.
Thank you
Maybe your hardware is faulty - I had a similar issue and had the board exchanged - now it works again properly.

You can of course use the external USB port for your database, but if you want to do so, you'd then better connect a SSD rather than a USB stick (wear and tear issue).
In such a scenario you will have to figure out if the USB 2.0 port provides enough power for the SSD to run or have it powered externally.

And regarding the settings:
I have saved screen copies of all pages to my PC, and for the services also saved the http strings as text - it helps a lot when things go messy and you have to rebuild your configuration - in addition to the configuration file (which is of not too much use inside the MB - save that also on your PC)
WH4000SE 1.5.7/GW1000 1.6.3/HP1000SE Pro 1.6.9
2xMeteobridge Pro [B+R],RPi4-2/16
Ecowitt 5763, 5764; WU ISAARB3; ISAARB22; Weathercloud 3011399141; http://meshka.eu/meteo/template - http://meshka.eu/Weather34