Hardware topics that do not fit in one of the other categories

Moderator: Mattk

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Which hardware do you recommend?

Post by nordstrandqueen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 am

Hi,

I've recently tested Meteohub on a virtual machine and want to use it for my weather station.

Now I want to buy a hardware. Which one would you recommend at the moment?
I need a USB connection for my weather station (TE831X - works like TE923) and it should work with WLAN.

Regards
Stef
weather station newbie, but IT & web pro
TE831X + SheevaPlug + meteohub

Dgates80
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Which hardware do you recommend?

Post by Dgates80 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 am

nordstrandqueen wrote:Hi,

I've recently tested Meteohub on a virtual machine and want to use it for my weather station.

Now I want to buy a hardware. Which one would you recommend at the moment?
I need a USB connection for my weather station (TE831X - works like TE923) and it should work with WLAN.

Regards
Stef
I tried to use a MiniX and the software just wasn't quite up to production standards (yet). Fun little box to play with though, and has WiFi built in. I switched to a SheevaPlug and it has been a rock. No experience with the other platforms. The x86 distro could be put on most any low end box and you could through in a wifi adapter and make that work. I like the " net appliance" way that the Sheevaplug runs though, however it uses a wired Ethernet interface. You probably could plug in a USB wifi dongle via a USB hub and make it work that way I am guessing, though I have not gone down that rabbit hole myself as I had no need to do so. The Sheevaplug only has a single USB port.....

HWTest
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by HWTest » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I'll not recommend anything, only describe my experiences.

Sheeva plug - rock stable, but after a couple of years (2-3) the PSU died - replaced with a 5V 3A wall PSU and one SD worn out.
I was prepared for the SD card - I had a "backup" preconfigured card ready, so I had to only transfer the licence (It's a good idea to keep the System ID and licence key somewhere safe) and restore data from backup. I've set an automated daily backup using rsync on my NAS.
The PSU was "unexpected", I knew It happens, but I hadn't a spare PSU ready, but the wall type is easy to get, so the downtime was minimal.

Silverstone DC01 - not as stable as the Sheeva, but pretty stable and I hope the system will mature with time.
In the dmesg log I get from time to time messages about "USB restarts" and "meteohtml.cgi: page allocation failure", I've found out it's best to restart the DC01 in this case, because one time I ignored it and after a couple of days the DC01 hanged in an attempt to restart and I had to "pull the plug".
I like the idea of the SSD vs the SD card in the Sheeva and the DC01 is much nicer :-)
I have the DC01 only a couple of months, so no long term experiences.

WebDog
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by WebDog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm about to upgrade my old NSLU2... not that it doesn't but somewhat underpowered when I do get a power cycle. Takes days to recompute the data. Was about to pull the plug on the new Android toy, but got the feeling Sheeva may be a more mature product and still offer plenty of bogo-mips.