Windy.com API upload from Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Windy.com API upload from Meteobridge

Post by galfert » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Windy.com has opened up discussion for them to become a new place to send weather station data. I just thought it would be great if the Meteobridge became one of the first devices that supported sending weather data there. Hopefully Boris can spring into action and make the necessary updates when their API is available.

But for now we the Meteobridge users need to comment in the following Windy link thread that you are a Meteobridge user. The more times Meteobridge shows up in that thread the better. Mention how it is very likely that the Meteobridge being that it was designed to publish to many weather online sources is likely to be optimal to support the Windy API.

https://community.windy.com/topic/7551/ ... a-to-windy

Update:
*** Thread Subject Title Changed: Windy API now available and Meteobridge supports it ***
Last edited by galfert on Thu May 02, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Windy.com seeking input on developing API - Let's make Meteobridge first

Post by admin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 am

I am in contact with windy and plan to add this weather network to Meteobridge, once the upload api is defined.

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 am

Excellent news. I think windy deserves our data, i just hope and pray they are not bought out by IBM!

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am

admin wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 am
I am in contact with windy and plan to add this weather network to Meteobridge, once the upload api is defined.
Awesome news! I'm glad to be a Meteobridge supporter and user.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

xcom
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by xcom » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

Super excited about this!
Windy tweeted yesterday that they open up to the pws community :)
I got my api key ready to go! :D

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm

More info here. I'm ready with my station ID and API key.

https://community.windy.com/topic/8168/ ... a-to-windy
MR3020 v1
GW1000

Andyk1
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Already onboard. Was excited to see windy finally accepting our data and providing both upload and download api's. Let's ee what Wunderground has to say about this now. I'll stop feeding them as soon as the initial bugs are worked out on windy which looks awesome. I use some of there feathers now at www.nicomaparkwx.com Look under the radar menu (3 bars) for the windy feathers I am already getting.

Andy

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm

If anyone wants to do this now on their Meteobridge you can. If this is too complicated then wait for the Meteobridge update to do it easier like you do all the other online services. No idea when the update is coming though.

All you have to do is go to the Services tab and add an HTTP service with the following URL. This URL is in the Windy requested format and uses the Meteobridge variables to send the data.

https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/X ... X?winddir=[wind0dir-avg2]&windspeedmph=[wind0wind-avg2=mph]&windgustmph=[wind0wind-max10=mph]&tempf=[th0temp-avg5=F]&rainin=[rain0total-sum60=in.2]&baromin=[thb0seapress-min1=inHg.2]&dewptf=[th0dew-avg1=F]&humidity=[th0hum-avg1]&uv=[uv0index-avg5]

*UPDATE: I added UV to the original Windy.com example. If you don't have UV then remove that part of the URL. Rain fixed from total daily rain to last 60 minutes per Windy documentation. Changed variables to match averages that Windy is asking for.

Replace XXX-API-KEY-XXX with your Windy station key. You don't need your station ID for the upload URL.

Fill in the success field as follows...
Success: SUCCESS

Set it for 5 minute uploads
Retry set for 2

See more pictures and help that I posted here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36656.0
Last edited by galfert on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm

I think I have an error in the rain variable. I think it need to be changed.

rain0total-daysum=in.2 ---> rain0total-sum60=in.2

Windy documentation says:
precip - real number [mm]; precipitation over the past hour
rainin - real number [in]; rain inches over the past hour (alternative to precip)

Yep...I think so....sorry. I fixed it in the previous post.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

lightmaster
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by lightmaster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 am

gus wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm
If anyone want to do this now on their Meteobridge you can. If this is too complicated then wait for the Meteobridge update to do it easier like you do all the other online services. No idea when the update is coming though.

All you have to do is go to the Services tab and add an HTTP service with the following URL. This URL is in the Windy requested format and uses the Meteobridge variables to send the data.

https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/X ... X?winddir=[wind0dir-avg5]&windspeedmph=[wind0wind-avg5=mph]&windgustmph=[wind0wind-max5=mph]&tempf=[th0temp-act=F]&rainin=[rain0total-sum60=in.2]&baromin=[thb0seapress-act=inHg.2]&dewptf=[th0dew-act=F]&humidity=[th0hum-act]&uv=[uv0index-act]

*UPDATE: I added UV to the original Windy.com example. If you don't have UV then remove that part of the URL. Rain fixed from total daily rain to last 60 minutes per Windy documentation.

Replace XXX-API-KEY-XXX with your Windy station key. You don't need your station ID for the upload URL.

Fill in the success field as follows...
Success: SUCCESS

Set it for 5 minute uploads
Retry set for 2

See more pictures and help that I posted here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36656.0
Great minds think alike, lol. Came here to post this and my HTTP request is almost exactly the same as yours. Only difference is I add the dateutc to mine so that if there's any issue with transmission or if someone has it set to retry a couple times, Windy will know when the data was recorded.

Code: Select all

https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/xxxxxxx-really-long-api-key-xxxxxxxx?dateutc=[UYYYY]-[UMM]-[UDD]T[Uhh]:[Umm]:[Uss]&winddir=[wind0dir-avg5]&windspeedmph=[wind0wind-avg5=mph]&windgustmph=[wind0wind-max5=mph]&tempf=[th0temp-act=F]&rainin=[rain0total-hoursum=in.2]&baromin=[thb0seapress-act=inHg.2]&dewptf=[th0dew-act=F]&humidity=[th0hum-act]&uv=[uv0index-act]
If someone at Windy reads this, I'd like to see solar and evapotranspiration being recordable, as well as being able to use Meteobridge's instantaneously rain rate and rain total for the day, rather than just the rain total for the last hour.

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:05 am

I thought about the time stamp but it seemed like more work for not much benefit. Although I admit to not really know how Retry and lost connectivity really work. For this reason I suggested setting Retry to 2. That equals 5 minutes. After that point the data if it was not received is useless as there is new data to be had for the next 5 minute cycle. So why not attempt to upload that new data instead of keeping the attempt to upload what would be now 5 minute old data? Unless the Meteobridge buffers the old data with the time stamp and say it goes after say 7 minutes for example. I've seen my Meteobridge show "Buffer: X items" in the System tab but I haven't read the documentation to really understand it. What kind of stress might I put the Meteobridge into if I start accumulating too many buffered items? For this reason all my upload services are set to 2 Retries or 5 Retries depending in if I'm uploading to that service every 5 or 10 minutes. (5 Retries is 12 minutes). Which is why I don't understand why I would ever want to choose unlimited Retries...as that sounds like a sure way to drown the Meteobridge.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm

I updated my above post with new URL to use variable averages that Windy is requesting.

https://community.windy.com/topic/8186/ ... interval/5
MR3020 v1
GW1000

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 am

With just released Meteobridge update, windy is added to the list of predefined weather networks. Please give it a test drive.

johnbowe
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by johnbowe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:03 pm

I just updated Meteobridge and Windy is now available under Weather Nets. Data is uploading, although I have noticed that under Wind there is an extra couple of digits showing up, presently wind speed is 4km/h, then it also shows g:7.

Pressure appears to be missing a couple of digits. Wind arrow appears to be pointing in the opposite direction - but I did notice this when added to Meteobridge manually under services. Maybe this is something I'm doing wrong.

Windy Readings.JPG
Windy Readings.JPG (18.47 KiB) Viewed 751 times

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Don't use this yet...it doesn't work right
UPDATE: Problem Fixed - see next post
This new update has a bug...well the bug isn't Meteobridge's fault. The problem is that Windy does not accept hPa. It only accepts Pa and that is why the pressure reading if off by a few decimal places. I would recommend for now that the Meteobridge send inHg instead to Windy as that is working correctly. To do this now you can use the manual HTTP upload method describe earlier in this thread (using inHg instead) or wait till the Meteobridge is updated to work around this Windy issue.
MB Windy wrong pressure.jpg
MB Windy wrong pressure.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Last edited by galfert on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MR3020 v1
GW1000